The Holy Guest [Spirit]
Sermon shared by Jerry Shirley
Summary: The Holy Ghost: a three point sermon concerning His PERSONAL ACTIONS, PERSONAL REACTIONS and PERSONAL TRANSACTIONS. Link to Formatted Text and Powerpoint included.
Audience: General adults
About Sermon Contributor
The Holy Guest, pt. 1
[Hundreds of free sermons and Powerpoints at website...link at bottom!]
“God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.”—John 4:24.
The Bible calls the Spirit of God “The Holy Ghost” and “The Holy Spirit”; but tonite, I’d like to call Him the “Holy Guest.” He must be invited in and given liberty as a visitor in the home. We need to start letting Him call the shots as our conscience…this is how we can “walk with God.” When we allow and “unholy guest”, the devil, to win in his efforts to hurt us, our homes, our church, our evening service, we offend our other guests, not the least of which is our “Holy Guest”, the Holy Ghost. He is God with us, the Comforter…God’s “Presence”…Col. 1:27—“Christ in you, the hope of glory.”
Now, in order that we might be more acquainted with the Holy Spirit who lives in our bodies, let me present a three-pronged study concerning His PERSONAL ACTIONS, PERSONAL REACTIONS and PERSONAL TRANSACTIONS.
I. PERSONAL ACTIONS OF OUR HOLY GUEST
1. HE SPEAKS. Acts 13:2: “ . . .the Holy Ghost said,
Separate me Barnabas and Saul for the work whereunto I have called them.” He knew exactly whom He wanted and what they were to do. When He speaks to us we should be ready to obey.
2. HE TESTIFIES. John 15:26: “But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me.” While others testify and advertise themselves and their ideas, activities and programs, the Holy Spirit only presents Jesus Christ.
3. HE TEACHES. John 14:26: “But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.” Who would be more qualified to teach us than one who has God’s attributes of omniscience or one who knows all things?
4. HE GUIDES. John 16:13: “Howbeit when he, the
Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth.” The Spirit of God knows the answer to all questions, and He can see the dangerous places in our pathway. He is familiar with every inch of the trail of life. He is an excellent guide.
5. HE LEADS. Romans 8:14: “For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.” To follow His leading shows great intelligence and spiritual wisdom. We read in Luke, chapter 4, of the account of Jesus’ being tempted of the Devil in the wilderness. This story begins with the statement, “And Jesus being full of the Holy Ghost returned from Jordan, and was led by the Spirit into the wilderness.” We, too, can come out of our wilderness temptations without sinning, if we will follow as the Spirit leads.
6. HE SEALS. Ephesians 4:30: “And grieve not the
Holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.” The seal signifies God’s ownership and protection over us.
7. HE GIVES GIFTS. I Corinthians 12:4: “now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit.” These gifts are listed in the following verses as: the gift of wisdom, gift of knowledge, gift of faith, gift of healing, gift of working miracles, gift of prophecy, gift of discerning spirits, gift of divers kinds of tongues and gift of interpretation of tongues. He gives these to whomsoever He will.
Comments and Shared Ideas
Join the discussion