The Importance of the Ressurection
Sermon shared by Jerry Watts
Summary: The Resurrection of Christ is the "D-day" for all of Christianity.
Audience: General adults
About Sermon Contributor
* June 6, 1944, D-day setup VE Day and VJ Day in June and August of 1945. For me, had we not been successful at Normandy beach, we would have lost the war. That one day, those hundreds of brave lives, and the determination of right ruled the day. That one day made the difference.
* Today we celebrate our D-day. It is Easter, Resurrection day. The Resurrection of Jesus is the hub around which all of Christianity turns. It is the very heart, the center of all we are & believe.
* Sometimes it seems we forget the real excitement of Easter is not the bunny, but rather the truth that is “Jesus is Alive!!” Death has been defeated and empty tomb stands as a monument to who Jesus was and is.
* Although the resurrection has been challenged, time and again it has withstood the challenge because of the historical evidence which demands consideration.
* History gives the evidence. Tacitus, Josephus, and most of the first century secular historians give evidence to it truth.
* For us, consider the change in cowardly disciples who were afraid to be seen at the crucifixion, locked away in a house, and were afraid. Consider the record of Fox’s book of martyrs as it chronicles the death of many of disciples who gave their lives based on the belief that Jesus rose from the grave. Then it was on the mind the rest of lives.
* Think of all the New Testament writers who mention this; Acts, Rom, I Cor, 2 Cor, Eph, Phil, Col, I Thess, & Rev.First Century Christian were obsessed with the resurrection. It literally turned “laid-back” Baptist into shouting, launching out, and aggressive believers. If we ever catch the glimpse of this (Jesus coming back from the dead) the same thing will happen to us.
* Let me submit at least 3 truths from the resurrection:
1. PROVES THE DIETY OF CHRIST
• Without the resurrection of Christ, His deity could be debated, the doctrine of salvation could be destroyed, and the Bible could even be denied. Had Jesus just died and stayed dead, He would be like all the other religious leaders. The world could say there is “no difference”.
• Adrian Rogers said, “without the resurrection Christianity topples like a house of cards”
• He would be just like Mohammed, Buddha, Confucius, and Joseph Smith (just to name a few). But the graves of these leaders are all occupied!! We don’t worship a grave of bones but rather an empty tomb of blessing. Why?
• Jesus of Calvary is the Jesus of the empty tomb and He is the giver, the creator, the Lord of life, and as such has defeated death. He has put “death to death.” “O Death where is your sting, Grave where is your victory?”/
• You see, for human being death generally brings with it a sense of finality. The grave is where we leave our remains. Death seems to always get us. (Story Of Harry Hodini)
• The greatest risk a person can take is predicting his own future. Yet, Jesus FULFILLED His own words as in Matthew, at least 4 times predicted His resurrection. 16:21/ 17:21-22/ 20:18-19/ 26:31-32
• Be clear about this, the resurrection is singular event that stands believers apart from all others religions. That is why all of Satan’s guns aimed at discounting this event. Consider all the lies theories which have been propagated; the swoon theory, the wrong tomb theory, the stolen body theory, are but a few.
• One side note; this was indeed a bodily resurrection.
Comments and Shared Ideas
Join the discussion