Staff Picks of the Week:
Memorial Day 2013
Memorial Day 2013 Preaching Bundle »
Greater Love Video Illustration » Everlasting God Worship Music Video »
Sabbath Sabbath Preaching Bundle »
1 Outta 7 Video Illustration » Before The Throne… Worship Music Video »
INTRODUCTION: THIS PSALM IS AN ENCOURAGEMENT FOR US TO CONTINUE TO “WAIT ON GOD” FOR HIS TIMING, PLAN, AND ACTION. THIS PSALM ALSO IDENTIFIES THE TWO MOST SIGNIFICANT ISSUES IN OUR LIVES THAT WILL WORK AGAINST OUR “WAITING ON THE LORD”.
ISSUE NUMBER ONE – FRETTING, 37:1
Psalm 37:1 (MSG) 1 A David psalm Don't bother your head with braggarts or wish you could succeed like the wicked.
1. THE NIV SAYS FRET
2. THE KJV SAYS FRET
3. AND HERE THE MESSAGE SAYS BOTHER
4. THE MEANING OF THE WORD IS TO BE HOT OR FURIOUS
5. IT IS NOT A WORD OF FEAR, BUT A WORD OF ANGER.
6. ACCORDING TO THIS PSALM, THE FIRST THING GOD WANTS US TO DEAL WITH IS OUR ANGER, NOT OUR FEAR!
7. CONFLICT BRINGS ANGER MORE THAN IT BRINGS FEAR
8. ONCE WE GET INTO ANGER MODE WE POINT FINGERS AT OTHERS, BLAME OTHERS, AND STOP LISTENING TO THE STILL SMALL VOICE OF GOD!
9. WE NEED TO FOCUS ON AVOIDING THOSE SITUATIONS IN OUR LIVES THAT BRING US TO THE POINT OF ANGER. HERE ARE SOME SUGGESTIONS:
Proverbs 19:11 (NIV) A man's wisdom gives him patience; it is to his glory to overlook an offense.
Proverbs 17:14 (NIV) Starting a quarrel is like breaching a dam; so drop the matter before a dispute breaks out.
a. IGNORE PETTY DISAGREEMENTS
Proverbs 22:24-25 (NIV) Do not make friends with a hot-tempered man, do not associate with one easily angered, 25 or you may learn his ways and get yourself ensnared.
b. IDENTIFY ANGER PRONE PEOPLE AND AVOID THEM
Proverbs 15:1 (NIV) A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.
Proverbs 21:23 (NIV) He who guards his mouth and his tongue keeps himself from calamity.
c. IMPEDE YOUR TONGUE WHEN YOU ARE ANGRY – OR AS MY MOTHER WOULD SAY, “BITE YOUR TONGUE”
James 1:19 (NIV) My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
Ecclesiastes 7:9 (NIV) Do not be quickly provoked in your spirit, for anger resides in the lap of fools.
Proverbs 16:32 (NIV) Better a patient man than a warrior, a man who controls his temper than one who takes a city.
d. INVESTIGATE ALL THE FACTS BEFORE REACTING
Proverbs 21:14 (NIV) A gift given in secret soothes anger, and a bribe concealed in the cloak pacifies great wrath.
Romans 12:14 (NIV) Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse.
e. INTERCEDE AND PRAY FOR THOSE WHO ANGER YOU
James 1:20 (NIV) for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires.
f. INDIVIDUAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR ANGER MUST BE ACCEPTED
ISSUE NUMBER TWO IS ENVY
1. THE WORD MEANS GLOWING HOT
2. THIS KIND OF HEAT COME FROM COMPARISON
3. IN FACT WE ARE TOLD TO RELAX (37:8) AS THE RESULT OF NOT RELAXING IS TO DEVELOP WRATH – LITERALLY A POISON.
4. THE ONLY JOB OF POISON IS TO KILL SOMETHING – YOU!
5. ENVY PRODUCES LOTS OF NEGATIVES IN OUR LIVES:
1 Peter 2:1-2 (NIV) Therefore, rid yourselves of all malice and all deceit, hypocrisy, envy, and slander of every kind. 2 Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation,
a. ENVY PREVENTS SPIRITUAL GROWTH
1 Timothy 6:4 (NIV)
4 he is conceited and understands nothing. He has an unhealthy interest in controversies and quarrels about words that result in envy, strife, malicious talk, evil suspicions
- Growth in Christ
- All Sermons on Growth in Christ
- Text Illustrations on Growth in Christ
- Video Illustrations on Growth in Christ
- PowerPoint Template on Growth in Christ
- Scripture on Growth in Christ
- Related Sermons
- Sermons related to Psalms 37:1-37:1
- All sermons from GUY GLASS
- Sermons on patience
- Sermons on Waiting
Join the discussion