THE LORD IS OUR VIGILANT HELPER AND PROTECTOR
I. (:1-4) THE LORD IS OUR VIGILANT HELPER
A. Looking for Help in All the Right Places -- "From whence shall my help come?”
1. Reminder: The impressive grandeur of the mountains reminds me of the majesty of the Creator
"I will lift up my eyes to the mountains"
2. Answer: "My help comes from the Lord"
B. The Lord’s Credentials as Helper are Impeccable
1. Lord over Nature = Creator of heaven and earth
"Who made heaven and earth"
2. Personally Cares for Us
"He will not allow your foot to slip;"
3. Vigilant = On Call 24 hours a day
"He who keeps you will not slumber"
"Behold, He who keeps Israel will neither slumber nor sleep"
II. (:5-8) THE LORD IS OUR VIGILANT PROTECTOR
A. Looking for Protection in All the Right Places -- "The Lord is your keeper"
B. The Lord’s Credentials as Protector are Impeccable
1. Lord over Nature = Protector from the elements
"The Lord is your shade on your right hand"
a. From the heat of the sun
"The sun will not smite you by day"
b. From the freezing temperatures of the night
"Nor the moon by night "
2. Personally Cares for Us = Watches over our soul
"The Lord will protect you from all evil; He will keep your soul"
3. Vigilant = On Call 24 hours a day."The Lord will guard your going out and your coming in From this time
forth and forever."
* * * * * * * * * *
1) When have we been disappointed by looking for help in the wrong places?
2) How does the grandeur of nature speak to our hearts about the Lord’s ability to care for us?
3) Why is the debate over Creation and Evolution so significant in its practical implications?
4) If the Lord is On Call all the time, why do I wait until my situation is desperate before calling on His help? The next time I feel the pressure and start to feel the heat turned up, how can I remember that the Lord is the shade on my right hand?
Download the entire Psalms commentary in pdf format
(including notes on each psalm from other commentators)