Staff Picks of the Week:
Memorial Day 2013
Memorial Day 2013 Preaching Bundle »
Greater Love Video Illustration » Everlasting God Worship Music Video »
Sabbath Sabbath Preaching Bundle »
1 Outta 7 Video Illustration » Before The Throne… Worship Music Video »
A. One of the greatest tragedies of World War II was the suffering of the people of Lenningrad, Russia, under siege from German army.
1. More than half the population died during the
winter of 1942
2. Jan.13, 1943 Soviet troops broke through German
lines, and opened a ten mile corridor that
allowed supplies through
3. It was called the Corridor of Death because of
4. The siege finally ended Jan.27, 1944 after 880
B. Jacob had his own "corridor of death" - Gen.32
This unforgettable moment in his life would take Jacob from a being a deceiver to a believer -two meetings (a) Brother Esau (b) Angel
I. A GREAT CRISIS 32:6-8
A. Study the life of Jacob and see what kind of
person he really was.
1. Gen.27 - Jacob receives the blessing
instead of Esau by deceit.
2. Gen.28 - Jacob escapes from Esau to Bethel
where he meets God in a strange dream that
shows a ladder from earth to Heaven
3. Gen.29 - Jacob meets Rachel and marries
Leah by deceit from Laban
4. Gen.30-31 Jacob has trouble with Laban, and
secretly flees. Laban comes after him, but
after being warned by God, makes peace with
B. Now we have another Great Crisis in the life
of Jacob - meeting Esau
1. The way of the transgressor is hard -
Prov.13:15. We can run but cannot hide.
The past will always caught up with us.
Jacob had fled in fear years before, but he
now had to face the brother he cheated.
We always reap what we sow!
2. Jacob was a cheat, swindler and schemer.
His name means USURPER -someone who steals
another personís position in the world.
3. God allowed him to meet Laban, who was just
like him, and now it was time for him to
meet his angry brother.
4. Everything happens for a reason, and God is
trying to teach this old deceiver some very
5. In every crisis there is a Purpose for
growth, honesty and confession.
6. What is He trying to teach you and me
today? Remember that for every Crisis, we
have the Christ cf. Jacobís prayer 32:9-12
Cry for help
II. A GRAND CONTEST 32:24-32
A. Notice the setting v.24 - Jacob was alone
B. Notice the struggle v.24b - A man wrestled
C. Then the submission -v.26 - Let me Go
1. This is a picture of what we must do as we
follow Jesus Christ
2. Just like Jacob, our will must be broken
so that we submit to His
3. All of self and none of thee must be none
of self and all of thee
4. Only when we say, Not my will but thine be
done can there be victory
III. A GODLY CHANGE
A. Once we encounter God, we will never forget
1. Jacob has a limp to prove it - something
to forever remind him.
2. Also, he receives a NEW NAME - Israel -
PRINCE WITH GOD
B. Today God wants to give you
- OT Characters
- All Sermons on OT Characters
- Text Illustrations on OT Characters
- Video Illustrations on OT Characters
- PowerPoint Template on OT Characters
- Scripture on OT Characters
Join the discussion