Staff Picks of the Week:
Memorial Day 2013
Memorial Day 2013 Preaching Bundle »
Greater Love Video Illustration » Everlasting God Worship Music Video »
Sabbath Sabbath Preaching Bundle »
1 Outta 7 Video Illustration » Before The Throne… Worship Music Video »
ETS: The Apostle Paul illustrates the realities of salvation through the symbolism of Christian baptism.
ESS: Believers are to live out the new life that Christ has given to them.
OSS: Believers will commit to live out the life pictured in their baptism.
PQ: What is the meaning and significance of baptism?
TITLE:”The Meaning of Baptism”
There is a lot of confusion about the subject of baptism. Men teach a number of different things about baptism. Some go to seed on the subject while others ignore it altogether.
The story is told of the preacher who went to pastor a particular church. He was one who was fond of preaching on water baptism. Week after week he would preach about baptism. Finally in desperation, the deacons requested that he allow them to pick his scripture text for the following Sunday’s message. He agreed. They assigned him the text Genesis 1:1. “There“, they said, “let us see him get a sermon on baptism out of that verse.” When he got up to preach, he announced the agreed upon text. His opening sentence then followed, “In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. The earth is two-thirds water. Today’s subject is Water Baptism.”
While we chuckle at his persistence, and realize that he had gone to seed on the subject, to ignore the Biblical teaching on baptism is also wrong.
What does the Bible teach about Baptism? It is one of the basics of the faith. Our text helps us to understand some truths about baptism.
I. BAPTISM IS TO BE DONE IN A PARTICULAR WAY (V.3).
A. The word “Baptize” indicates us the mode.
1. “baptizo” means, “to immerse, to submerge .”
B. The practice shown in the New Testament demonstrates the mode.
1. Jesus was baptized this way (Matthew 3:13-17)
2. Jesus Commanded this type of baptism for those who believe (Matt. 28:18-20).
3. Peter Commanded it at Pentecost (Acts 2:38).
4. Every time believers were baptized in the book of Acts, this is how it was done (Acts 2:41; 8:12,38; 9:18; 10:48; 16:33).
C. The Picture presented in the act of baptism mandates the mode.
1. It pictures death burial and resurrection.
II. BAPTISM IDENTIFIES US OPENLY WITH CHRIST (VS. 3, 5)
A. It is a public identification with the sacrifice that Jesus made on the cross (v.3).
1. When we are baptized, we are openly expressing our faith in the substitutionary death that Jesus died for us on the cross (2 Cor. 5:21).
B. We are identified as becoming united with Jesus (v.5)
1. Notice Paul’s words, “Baptized into Christ”. This denotes the fact that we are in union with Christ.
* When the husband and wife are united at the marriage altar, they become “One flesh”. When we are baptized, we become one with the Savior. Baptism identifies us with Christ as the wedding identifies the bride with her groom.
III. BAPTISM SHOWS THE IMPACT OF OUR SALVATION EXPERIENCE (V. 4, 6-8).
A. Baptism shows the Gospel message that Jesus died for our sins and rose again for our justification. (v. 4)
1. Christ died for us (Rom. 5:8).
2. He arose so that we can be justified
(Romans 4:25)” Who was delivered for our offences, and was raised again for our justification.”
B. Baptism shows that the believer has died to the old life of sin and has been raised to walk in a different life.(vss.6-7).
- All Sermons on Baptism
- Text Illustrations on Baptism
- Video Illustrations on Baptism
- PowerPoint Template on Baptism
- Scripture on Baptism
Join the discussion