Sermon shared by Dan Carroll
Summary: A sermon explaining the Passover story and traditions.
Audience: General adults
About Sermon Contributor
• John 1:29, “Behold the Lamb of God that takes away the sin of the world.”
• Passover was a time to remember and rejoice.
• God will do His part, often miraculously, but then He will ask you to move, to engage, to participate.
• Exodus 12:7-11, “They are to take some of the blood and smear it on the sides and top of the
doorframes of the houses…eat it along with bitter salad greens and bread made without yeast…”
I. IT IS A NEW DAY AND A NEW WAY
• Eat it with bitter herbs and unleavened bread - a reminder.
• Vs. 2 - “…the beginning of months for you…"
• Passover represents a fresh start.
• New hope; new life.
• II Corinthians 5:17, “Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature (creation)…”
• This is a beginning time, a new relationship with people.
• This is the time of the law, values that would change thinking and keep people free.
• Love and honor people, love God and honor Him.
• God is saying you are leaving a system that kills and I am taking you to one that gives life.
II. LIVING IN A FAITH RELATIONSHIP
• A new way of living, believing God will provide, not about “be good,” but believe.
• Vs. 3-8 - The people had to participate.
• The first born was the cost, the unblemished, the best they had.
• The Israelites had to prepare the lamb, put blood on doors posts and eat the lamb.
• John 6:54,56 - Jesus said, “You must eat my flesh and drink my blood…”
• You must receive me deep inside to grow spiritually.
• Vs.12-14 - Do this and remember it; I am not your law giver I am your Savior, deliverer.
III. DEEPING THE RELATIONSHIP
• 1400 years later Jesus talked about this dinner His last night on earth.
• Passover - Jesus is pouring wine and says, “I am changing the whole deal.”
• Luke 22:14-23 - Passover to Communion
• The wine and unleavened from now on represents Me and My love for the whole world.
• People are transformed because of love and gratitude, not guilt.
• I want to be your God, but you must do as Israel did, trust me. Place your faith in the blood of My Son.
Comments and Shared Ideas
Join the discussion