Staff Picks of the Week:
Memorial Day 2013
Memorial Day 2013 Preaching Bundle »
Greater Love Video Illustration » Everlasting God Worship Music Video »
Sabbath Sabbath Preaching Bundle »
1 Outta 7 Video Illustration » Before The Throne… Worship Music Video »
The Place Of Refuge
Joshua 20:1 - 9
20:1 The LORD also spake unto Joshua, saying,
2 Speak to the children of Israel, saying, Appoint out for you cities of refuge, whereof I spake unto you by the hand of Moses:
3 That the slayer that killeth any person unawares and unwittingly may flee thither: and they shall be your refuge from the avenger of blood.
4 And when he that doth flee unto one of those cities shall stand at the entering of the gate of the city, and shall declare his cause in the ears of the elders of that city, they shall take him into the city unto them, and give him a place, that he may dwell among them.
5 And if the avenger of blood pursue after him, then they shall not deliver the slayer up into his hand; because he smote his neighbour unwittingly, and hated him not beforetime.
6 And he shall dwell in that city, until he stand before the congregation for judgment, and until the death of the high priest that shall be in those days: then shall the slayer return, and come unto his own city, and unto his own house, unto the city from whence he fled.
7 And they appointed Kedesh in Galilee in mount Naphtali, and Shechem in mount Ephraim, and Kirjatharba, which is Hebron, in the mountain of Judah.
8 And on the other side Jordan by Jericho eastward, they assigned Bezer in the wilderness upon the plain out of the tribe of Reuben, and Ramoth in Gilead out of the tribe of Gad, and Golan in Bashan out of the tribe of Manasseh.
9 These were the cities appointed for all the children of Israel, and for the stranger that sojourneth among them, that whosoever killeth any person at unawares might flee thither, and not die by the hand of the avenger of blood, until he stood before the congregation.
1. Numbers 35 and Joshua 20 record information about The Cities of Refuge.
During the days of Moses and Joahua, the method of carrying our vengeance was different than today. Today we depend entirely on the Judiciary system to satisfy our need for justice when someone does wrong.
2. During the days of Moses and Joshua:
• Vindication of wrong was at the disposal of the one wronged!
• If someone killed a member of your family or a friend, you killed them!
Numbers 35:19 The revenger of blood himself shall slay the murderer: when he meets him, he shall slay him.
• Simple, but dangerous if someone killed another accidentally!
3. That’s were the "cities of refuge" came into play.
4. Six cities were designated as cities of refuge (Joshua 20:7 & 8)
Ke desh; She chem; Kir jath arba
Be zer; Ra moth; Go lan
5. Everyone knew where the cities of refuge were located
a) Signs were probably posted at intersections
b) Bridges were probably built over ravines so one could get there
6. When one got to the city of refuge he found safety, shelter, and protection
7. Today I want to talk about The Place Of Refuge in relation to the cities of
refuge in our text: The Lord Jesus Christ is our ultimate "refuge" who offers us
shelter and protection.
8. Just as all the people in the "cities of refuge" in our text had things in common,
so do we today here in the church. WE WERE ALL SINNERS!
9. These cities of refuge that Moses and Joshua appointed reveal something about our place of refuge in Christ
1. You Have To Flee (Go
- Sin: Exposed
- All Sermons on Sin: Exposed
- Text Illustrations on Sin: Exposed
- Video Illustrations on Sin: Exposed
- PowerPoint Template on Sin: Exposed
- Scripture on Sin: Exposed
Join the discussion