The Power of Words
Sermon shared by Jeffrey Smith
Summary: The words we speak shape our lives and many times the lives of those around us.
Series: The Power of Words
Audience: General adults
About Sermon Contributor
The Power of Words
· I love you, youre important to me, thank you so much, how can I repay you, you look really nice today, I like your new haircut, great job, this place wouldn’t be the same withouit you, im proud of you, you are irreplacable, will you marry, were having a baby
· I hate you, you disgust me, I wish you had never been born, I wish I were dead, you make me sick, I want a divorce, nobody cares about you, ill never speak to you again
· I want to talk about the power of words
· Words shape and define our lives
· Words reveal the faith we have in our life
12 The next day as they were leaving Bethany, Jesus was hungry.
13 Seeing in the distance a fig tree in leaf, he went to find out if it had any fruit. When he reached it, he found nothing but leaves, because it was not the season for figs.
14 Then he said(he answered in KJV) to the tree, "May no one ever eat fruit from you again." And his disciples heard him say it.
15 On reaching Jerusalem, Jesus entered the temple area and began driving out those who were buying and selling there. He overturned the tables of the money changers and the benches of those selling doves,
16 and would not allow anyone to carry merchandise through the temple courts.
17 And as he taught them, he said, "Is it not written: "’My house will be called a house of prayer for all nations’? But you have made it ’a den of robbers.’"
18 The chief priests and the teachers of the law heard this and began looking for a way to kill him, for they feared him, because the whole crowd was amazed at his teaching.
19 When evening came, they went out of the city.
20 In the morning, as they went along, they saw the fig tree withered from the roots.
21 Peter remembered and said to Jesus, "Rabbi, look! The fig tree you cursed has withered!"
22 "Have faith in God," Jesus answered.
23 "I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, ’Go, throw yourself into the sea,’ and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him.
24 Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.
· Jesus did not speak AT the tree, He spoke TO the tree
· Every day we speak TO Different things in our life…what are we saying? Because the principle works BOTH ways
· Here Jesus taught us a valuable lesson not only about words, but about a principle of faith that is associated with our words
· But our words reveal what is in our hearts
· Story of man and woman I met they were trying to sell their land, Ill never sell the land they would say every day for 2 years…they learned this principle and began to speak differently over that land… in 2 days they sold it and retired
· We color our lives with the words we use…
2 For in many things we offend all. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man, and able also to bridle the whole body.
3 Behold, we put bits in the horses’ mouths, that they may obey us; and we turn about their whole body.
4 Behold also the ships, which though they be so great, and are driven of fierce winds, yet are they turned about with a very small helm, whithersoever the governor listeth.
5 Even so the tongue is a little member, and boasteth great things. Behold, how great a matter a little fire kindleth!
6 And the tongue
Comments and Shared Ideas
Join the discussion