1. Scales: A husband stepped on one of those penny scales that tell a person’s fortune and weight. "Listen to this," he said to his wife, showing her a small, white card. "It says I’m energetic, bright, and resourceful." "Yeah," his wife nodded, "and it has your weight wrong, too." Sometimes the truth hurts.
2. Truth is under fire today - John Leo in U.S. News quoted a professor Robert Simon of Hamilton College in Clinton, N.Y. as reporting that "10 to 20% of his students... acknowledged the Holocaust but couldn’t bring themselves to say that killing millions of people was wrong.... one student told Simon, ’Of course I dislike the Nazis, but who is to say they are morally wrong?’"
Leo went on to note "2 disturbing articles in the Chronicle of Higher Education say that some students are unwilling to oppose large moral horrors, including human sacrifice, ethnic cleansing, and slavery, because they think no one has the right to criticize the moral views of another group or culture."
3. John 14.6 – I am the TRUTH;
I. What is Truth?
A. Truth is a Reality to Recognize
Two elderly women were out driving in a large car and both could barely see over the dashboard. As they were cruising along they came to an intersection. The stoplight was red but they just went on through. The woman in the passenger seat thought to herself "I must be losing it; I could have sworn we just went through a red light."
After a few more minutes they came to another intersection and the light was red again and again they went right through. This time the woman in the passenger seat was almost sure that the light had been red but was really concerned that she was losing it. She was getting nervous and decided to pay very close attention to the road and the next intersection to see what was going on.
At the next intersection, sure enough, the light was definitely red and they went right through and she turned to the other woman and said, "Mildred! Did you know we just ran through three red lights in a row! You could have killed us!" Mildred turned to her and said, "Oh, am I driving?"
We need to recognize TRUTH!
1. The fact that there is a “Spirit of Truth” tells us that there is a reality present (John 14.16-21; 15.26-27; 16.7-16)
a. Interesting: “People will believe anything if you say, “Scientists have discovered. . .”
b. How do people respond to “The Bible says . . .”
c. Did you know there is no archaeological evidence for the Hebrews in Egypt? OR even for the Hebrews outside the land of Promise? Yet, we know they were there because the bible says so.
2. Truth is seen in God himself
So that he who blesses himself in the land
shall bless himself by the God of truth,
and he who takes an oath in the land
shall swear by the God of truth;
because the former troubles are forgotten
and are hidden from my eyes. Isaiah 65.16
3. Truth is seen in Yeshua (Jesus) – John 14.6
4. Truth is seen in the word of God – John 17.17; 1.1, 14
B. Truth is a Standard to Show
According to a recent survey, 70% of adult American Christians believe there are no moral or ethical absolutes that apply to everyone. In other words most Christian adults have been poisoned by the drug of moral relativism. Most Christians have joined the non-Christian culture and believe we set
- All Sermons on Truth
- Text Illustrations on Truth
- Video Illustrations on Truth
- PowerPoint Template on Truth
- Scripture on Truth
- Related Sermons
- Sermons related to John 14:6-14:6
- All sermons from Perry Greene
- Sermons on Truth
- Sermons on Reality
- Sermons on Know the Truth
Join the discussion