“The Sealed Of Israel”
Date: October 23, 2002
Place: Allendale Baptist Church
Text: Revelation 7:1-4
As we closed last week with the end of chapter 6, we studied the opening of the 6th seal of the Book of Judgment by the Lamb of God, Jesus Christ.
We will see in this 7th chapter the theme is that God seals a remnant of Israel and saves a redeemed company of Gentiles during the Great Tribulation period.
Some say that this book is very difficult and no one can understand its symbols and visions. It seems to me that as I look and study Revelation John has kept us up to date. Instead of trying to guess and figure out on our own, we need to just let the author John, tell where we are as we go along.
This period of tribulation takes place after the church leaves the earth, after the church concludes its mission and is taken to be with the Lord.
* Can I tell you why so many folks have trouble with not only Revelation but also Scripture in general; they try to lift out just one verse here and there and then try to interpret the whole book.
John is about to go into great detail to describe the tribulation period. Chapter 6 as I said, was an overview or an outline. We have had the opening of 6 seals so far and they have revealed the 4 great tragedies, the beginning of judgment. The 5th seal let us see the martyred company of people. The 6th seal we saw some of the signs of the doom that is to come upon a godless world during the tribulation period.
During our study tonight I believe we will answer the question that many ask: Will there be any saved during the tribulation?
* We have a great many denominations today that say no one will be saved during this time.
* These folks use 2 Thessalonians 2:7- 12 which says; “For the mystery of lawlessness is already at work; only He who now restrains will do so until He is taken out of the way. And then the lawless one will be revealed”
* One of the works of the Holy Spirit is to restrain evil and He will do so until He removes the church from this world.
* The Bible is very clear in its teaching that when we are saved, justified we are baptized into the body of believers, and also sealed with the Holy Spirit.
* His primary work is that of salvation. During the tribulation period the Holy Spirit will no longer restrain evil.
* Someone asked a question to a pastor; how will people be saved during the tribulation? His answer the same way everyone else is saved, by the work of Jesus on the cross.
* The saints of the OT were by faith looking forward to the cross. Those in the NT and us today we look back to the redeeming work of the cross.
* The work of the Holy Spirit today is to restrain evil. I ask you this question; what keeps folks from being saved today? Evil, the work of the devil.
* They Holy Spirit will be in the world during the tribulation just like He was before Pentecost.
And you know how much I love to speak of evangelism. In the tribulation I believe there will be 4 phases of evangelism:
1. The 144,00 converted Jews. These are Jewish missionaries who will spread the gospel message during the tribulation