The Third Anointing
Sermon shared by Mike Hullah
Summary: The anointing speaks simply of the Presence of God in our lives in a tangible way. Our experience of God tends to be progressive and so is what is called the anointing. We desire a fresh touch of God, a greater dimension of God. This sermon looks at three
Audience: General adults
About Sermon Contributor
THE THIRD ANOINTING
Psalm 92:10 I shall be anointed with fresh oil.
The anointing speaks simply of the Presence of God in our lives in a tangible way. Our experience of God tends to be progressive and so is what is called the anointing. We desire a fresh touch of God, a greater dimension of God. This sermon looks at three anointings David received and the key to receiving them.
1. The anointing by Samuel.
1 Samuel 16:1, 12-13 Now the LORD said to Samuel, “How long will you mourn for Saul, seeing I have rejected him from reigning over Israel? Fill your horn with oil, and go; I am sending you to Jesse the Bethlehemite. For I have provided Myself a king among his sons.”
12 So he sent and brought him in. Now he was ruddy, with bright eyes, and good-looking. And the LORD said, “Arise, anoint him; for this is the one!” Then Samuel took the horn of oil and anointed him in the midst of his brothers; and the Spirit of the LORD came upon David from that day forward. So Samuel arose and went to Ramah.
2. The anointing by Judah.
2 Samuel 2:4 Then the men of Judah came, and there they anointed David king over the house of Judah. And they told David, saying, “The men of Jabesh Gilead were the ones who buried Saul.”
3. The anointing by Israel.
2 Samuel 5:3 Therefore all the elders of Israel came to the king at Hebron, and King David made a covenant with them at Hebron before the LORD. And they anointed David king over Israel.
THE PLACE OF THE ANOINTING
2 Samuel 3:1, 2 Now there was long war between the house of Saul and the house of David: but David waxed stronger and stronger, and the house of Saul waxed weaker and weaker. And unto David were sons born in Hebron: and his firstborn was Amnon, of Ahinoam the Jezreelitess;
Hebron = communion, united, union, to couple together.
1. Hebron is entered by faith. It was the place Abraham dwelt after his separation from Lot who means veiled a type of wrong motivation. Genesis 13:18 Then Abram moved his tent, and went and dwelt by the terebinth trees of Mamre, which are in Hebron, and built an altar there to the LORD.
2. To remain in Hebron takes faith. It was where Sarah was buried speaking of the resting place of faith. Genesis 23:2 So Sarah died in Kirjath Arba (that is, Hebron) in the land of Canaan, and Abraham came to mourn for Sarah and to weep for her.
3. Hebron is the place where promises are possessed. It was the place Joshua and Caleb saw with the ten spies in Canaan that Caleb later took for his own speaking of resting in the possessions. Numbers 13:22 And they went up through the South and came to Hebron; Ahiman, Sheshai, and Talmai, the descendants of Anak, were there. (Now Hebron was built seven years before Zoan in Egypt.) Joshua 14:13-15 And Joshua blessed him, and gave Hebron to Caleb the son of Jephunneh as an inheritance.14 Hebron therefore became the inheritance of Caleb the son of Jephunneh the Kenizzite to this day, because he wholly followed the LORD God of Israel.15 And the name of Hebron formerly was Kirjath Arba (Arba was the greatest man among the Anakim). Then the land had rest from war.
4. Hebron results in fruitfulness and multiplication. It was a city where David had sons. Samuel 3:2 Sons were born to David in Hebron:
5. Hebron brings the fullness of salvation. Hebron was a City of Refuge speaking of being free from judgment. It was
Comments and Shared Ideas
Join the discussion