The Unsinkable Ship
Sermon shared by Gerald Van Horn
Summary: Godís Word is like an unsinkable ship in the sea of humanity
Audience: Believer adults
2. A picture of life without God.
Thorns are bad but briers are even worse. God can turn your thorns into a beautiful forest. God can turn your briers into a beautiful forest. Everything God touches flourishes. Life without God is a barren land, a desert of misery. It is unfruitful. Man in sin reaps nothing but futility. Heís heading into a blind alley. There is no way out except by Godís help. It all depends upon the unshakeable Word of God. Believe and trust it. The world may pass away but the Word of the Lord shall abide forever.
Illustration: The story is told of an unbeliever who wanted to see 18th century Evangelist
George Whitefield preach but did not want to listen to his message. Deliberately putting fingers in both ears, he watched the great preacher without listening to a word he said. But a stubborn fly landed on his nose, no matter what he did, he could not shake him off. He unplugged his ears long enough to shoo the fly away, and in those brief seconds, Whitefield proclaimed loudly, ďHim who has ears to hear, let him hear!Ē The amazing timing of it so intrigued the man that he listened to the rest of Whitefieldís sermon and was saved.
3. Reaping the harvest of Godís Word.
The Word of God is like an unsinkable ship. They said that the Titanic could not sink but it did. Godís Word can sail the roughest seas. Hitler burned Bibles by the thousands yet it still stands as the Worldís best seller. The sea is humanity with all their problems and difficulty. Do not be like Noahís generation that perished when the floods came. Get on board the Gospel ship. Youíll be glad tomorrow you did it today.
It shall accomplish its purpose:
* It shall prosper in its purpose. It is based upon truth. It is based upon the integrity of the Speaker. If the Word does not prosper then God is the biggest liar that there ever was.The Creator of the universe, the Almighty God, stands behind His Word. He is unshakeable therefore so is His word.
* The product of Godís Word is joy. ďThe joy of the Lord is my strength.Ē Nehemiah 8:10. Sorrow lasts for the night but joy cometh in the morning. When you sow Godís Word joy will fill your heart. If you plant joy you will reap joy. Itís the law of Godís Word.
* Another product of Godís Word is peace. Peace like a river. Peace is like a flood when it comes it will sweep over the soul. John 14:27 ďPeace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you.ĒIf you sow peace you will reap peace. Itís the law of Godís Word.
Illustration: A man has a piece property. It is filled with thorns, briers and thistles. One day he cuts all the weeds out and fences the property. He then departs. What was done? He found that it just makes weeds grow faster. It has to be plowed and planted with good seed. So it is with Godís Word. Hebrews 4:9-12 ďthere remains, therefore, a rest to the people of God. For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his. Let us labor, therefore, to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief. For the word of God is quick, and
Comments and Shared Ideas
Join the discussion