THE WHOLE ARMOR OF GOD
You need to understand that we are at war. And I’m not talking about the war on terrorism. We are at war with an enemy that is stronger and more evil than Osama Bin Laden. This enemy makes Adolf Hitler look like a boy scout. He can’t be defeated with guns, knives, tanks or even an atomic bomb. You can’t outrun him, you can’t outsmart him. The only way to deal with this enemy is to stand and fight him. You have to stand nose to nose with him and fight. But, he is far too strong for you. He will chew you up and spit you out, he will utterly destroy you. And if try and run, he’ll take you down from behind and destroy you. So, if he is so powerful how do you fight him? How do you fight an enemy that you stand no chance against?
With the whole armor of God. God has equipped us with everything we need to battle Satan. God has given us the armor, but it’s up to us to put it on. Satan is the strongest enemy a Christian will ever face, Even as strong as he is, he can be beat. But, in order to beat him you need all of your armor. Every piece is important, if you leave out just one piece you create a weak spot, where you are vulnerable to his attacks. There are six pieces to your armor, and you need all six pieces.
(10) Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might.
(11) Put on the whole armor of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.
(12) For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
(13) Wherefore take unto you the whole armor of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.
(14) Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;
(15) And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;
(16) Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.
(17) And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:
Verse 11 tells us why we need the armor - that we may be able to stand against wiles or schemes of the Devil.
Verse 12 tells us who the enemy is. We wrestle not against flesh and blood
our enemy is not other churches, we are not at war with the Church of God,
we are not at war with the free-will Baptist, or the Southern Baptist, or any other church for that matter. We are not even at war with the lost people. We are at war with Satan and his demons.
Verse 13 tells us when we need our armor - in the evil day
now for our armor
1. the belt of Truth - the Truth is a knowledge of the truth of God’s word. For an ancient Roman soldier, his loins were girt with a leather belt that held all the other pieces of his armor in place. His belt was the foundation of his protection. Just like the word of God is the foundation of our protection