Summary: The woman represents Israel and the dragon is the coming kingdom of the Anti-Christ, but for us there is a call to action that every Christian MUST recognize and act on. The call is to SHARE the Gospel ... immediately!
The Woman and the Dragon
Revelation, Part 16, Revelation 11:19-12:6
- Let me sum the purpose of the two witnesses in three small phrases:
-- There’s a resurrection of life
-- There’s a focus on worship
-- There’s a promise to redeem
- What does this say about us today?
-- Do we not have the same road-map for our lives?
-- We are promised when we surrender to Jesus Christ’s calling on our lives
- This morning, we open up the beginning of the final three and a half years, starting with the final verse in Chapter 11 which gives us another look into the Temple of Heaven.
- Read Revelation 11:19-12:6
Ω Point 1 - The Temple in Heaven
- Verse 19 again shows us that God has a temple in heaven
-- One that is so magnificent that all the wonders of this world respond to it
-- Respond with thunder, lightning, earthquakes, etc.
- This same temple is discussed in Revelation 14, 16 and 17
-- The temple on the Earth (in Jerusalem) was a mere shadow of this temple
-- Paul writes to us in Hebrews 8:5 and tells of this temple: “They serve at a sanctuary that is a copy and shadow of what is in heaven. This is why Moses was warned when he was about to build the tabernacle: "See to it that you make everything according to the pattern shown you on the mountain.”
-- APP: God was specific in His plans … as He is specific in our lives.
- There’s something very special that John sees in the temple:
-- He sees the actual Ark of the Covenant!
-- As Old Testament history will reveal, the Ark was used to carry the 10 Commandments, a jar of manna, and Aaron’s staff (the same staff that became a snake when thrown down before Pharaoh)
-- It was believed that whoever possessed the Ark would have great power
- APP: As John looked into Heaven’s temple, he saw the power of God
- BUT … John seeing the Ark represents several things:
-- 1) The Ark represents the Law that WE are to be judged by
-- 2) All are judged by the Law without Christ as our Savior
- Heaven at this time is preparing to wage war against evil
-- John is about to have many mysteries explained to him -- as we are too
- Background of Chapter 12:
- John describes two great signs:
-- 1) The first sign is of a woman, she gives birth to a male-child, who will rule the nations, and he is “caught up” to the throne of God in Heaven
-- 2) The second is of a great red dragon, which pursues the woman, who gave birth to the child
- John is being shown that this is now the time for an epic battle
-- This battle began in the Garden of Eden, and now it’s time to finish it
- Once Satan is free to move about the Earth in the form of the Anti-Christ
-- Realizes he only has 3 ½ years to seek his vengeance on the Earth
-- According to the Word, Satan does not waste any time in his plot
-- This is why he goes directly after the apple of God’s eye … Israel
- The final battles of this Earth will be waged in the hills outside of Israel
-- Why? It was in Jerusalem that the Messiah came into the world