Staff Picks of the Week:
Memorial Day 2013
Memorial Day 2013 Preaching Bundle »
Greater Love Video Illustration » Everlasting God Worship Music Video »
Sabbath Sabbath Preaching Bundle »
1 Outta 7 Video Illustration » Before The Throne… Worship Music Video »
• This a very important portion of Scripture. Not in the top 10 of most popular sermon texts. Not a touchy feely part of Scripture. The prosecuting attorney steps to the front of the Judge and lays out a case against mankind.
• LOST WORLD: Name of a popular movie out the Jurassic Park trilogy. World of dinosaurs, hidden away jungles, island far away from society. The real ‘lost world’ is what you walk into every day. It surrounds your every activity. The defining principles of lostness which are also the reasons for the wrath of God are set forth in our text for today.
• GOD’S COURTROOM: We now enter it. Beginning here and continuing through several chapters God establishes the guilt of mankind. Gentiles and Jews, Pagans and Religious.
• 45 RPM Singles: Popular songs of the day on one side while other side was a throwaway song. To buy one was to get something very good on one side but the flip side you didn’t even want to listen to. In verses 1:17 we have been given the fun stuff about Christianity but starting in verse 18 we get the stuff people don’t want to hear. But it is part of the message: It is the bad news that makes the good news really good.
Parts of town we don’t like to travel in: In KC used to drive into the inner city and preach at the rescue mission each month. Showed up for seminary in 1990. God provided a church 3 months later but in the mean time I wanted to preach somewhere. Called a rescue mission out of the phone book and started a relationship that continued for the next 8 years.
Those faces I would see each Saturday night, the dead sunken eyes, were very different from the ones I would look into the next morning at Church. If I could choose my world it would be the Sunday Morning world but the truth is that the other exists. It is not fun to admit but it is reality. There is a part of us like that: We like the us we dress up each Sunday morning but Paul is going to identify the deeper part of us that has fallen short of God’s glory.
(18) For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness. (19) because that which is known about God is evident within them; for God made it evident to them. (20) For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made so that they are without excuse. (21) For even though they knew God, they did not honor Him as God, or give thanks; but they became futile in their speculations and their foolish heart was darkened. (22) Professing to be wise, they became fools
• Paul here begins to answer some of the tough questions that people like to ask: Why should I go to church when there are hypocrites there? If somebody never hears the name of Jesus how can they be held accountable? What about the heathen in Africa?(little secret, heathen are here, people grow up with very little or no exposure to a healthy concept of God in America).
1) Paul is going to prove that no person will ever be able to stand before God with any defense against God’s judgment.(no OJ’s) PROOF that every body is guilty.
• Did you notice that verse 18 is present tense? We think of wrath as being the Book of Revelation. Some futuristic event. That
- God's Judgment
- All Sermons on God's Judgment
- Text Illustrations on God's Judgment
- Video Illustrations on God's Judgment
- PowerPoint Template on God's Judgment
- Scripture on God's Judgment
Join the discussion