Staff Picks of the Week:
Memorial Day 2013
Memorial Day 2013 Preaching Bundle »
Greater Love Video Illustration » Everlasting God Worship Music Video »
Sabbath Sabbath Preaching Bundle »
1 Outta 7 Video Illustration » Before The Throne… Worship Music Video »
TOPIC: THESE CARES ARE NOT MINE!
TEXT: 1 PETER 5:7
- A text Study on 1Peter 5:7
“Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you”. (KJV)
* Apostle Peter’s writing to
- the strangers scattered throughout Pontus etc.(1:1)
- elect according to God’s foreknowledge (1:2)
- Victory over suffering (Thompson Study Bible- TSB)
- A living hope in the midst of persecution and suffering (NRSV – Harper Study Bible, HSB).
Peter’s own summary (5:12)
Message General: (1:2 – NRSV).
- to all Christians called and “have been chosen and destined by God the father and sanctified by the spirit to be obedient to Jesus Christ and to be sprinkled with his blood.”
Matters Arising for the text:
1. Cast(ing) 2. all
3 cares(anxiety) 4. upon him (God)5. for (because) 6. he (God)
7. Cares for you (me)
Background: that of suffering/persecution
1. Cast (Or) Casting [contextual meaning]
cast aside: to get rid of someone or something because you no longer like them or they are no longer useful
cast out: to force something to go away
cast off: to get rid of something or someone
an act; action from you;
a command, an imperative
one option given – CAST!
casting (KJV) – continuous active tense
act of surrenderedness, handover, leave for another to handle; recognizing one’s insufficiency/dependence
- if you cast worries, fears, doubts, etc from your mind, you stop feeling worried, you stopped being afraid etc.
- All means all, the complete amount or quantity of; the whole of.
- No reservation, no sharing, no percentage sharing, 100% for God.
3. Cares (Anxiety)
Gk. merimna merimna mer’-im-nah : through the idea of distraction,
1) Solicitude – care. To be anxious about, take thought
2) care, anxiety , melw melo mel’-o , to care about
To feel that something is important, so that you are interested in it, worried about it etc.
The feeling of being very worried about something that may happen or may have happened so that you think about it all the time.
Something that makes you worry.
- Anxiety is a great threat to peace of mind and constancy of Christian conduct (HSB note on 1 Pet. 5:7),
- Compare Phil. 4:6-7, Ps.37:5.
- Read Phil. 6-7
Prayerlessness brings nothing but worry and insecurity, whereas prayer with thanksgiving brings a peace that passes all human understanding. This peace is independent of outward circumstances (HSB).
Peace of God: opposite of anxiety. It is the tranquility that comes when the believer commits all his cares to God in prayer and worries about them no more (NIV Study Bible).
- Anxiety and prayer are two great opposing forces in Christian experience.
- Anxiety is sin in the heart of the believer, forbidden by Jesus Christ himself. (See Mt. 6:25; Lk.12:22, 29; Jh. 6:27).
- Anxiety may be overcome by putting our trust in God (Jer. 17:7; Dan. 3:15-18), turning our cares over to the Lord (Ps. 55:22; Prov. 16:3, I Pet. 5:7), and thanking God in advance for the answer to our petitions (Phil.4:6) –HSB
4. On Him – God
- His Personality is involved.
- He is the object of
- All Sermons on Faith
- Text Illustrations on Faith
- Video Illustrations on Faith
- PowerPoint Template on Faith
- Scripture on Faith
- Related Sermons
- Sermons related to 1 Peter|Philippians 5|4:7|6-5|4:7|7
- All sermons from Dixon Olu. David
Join the discussion