Thirsty? Come to Jesus, Drink and Flow
Sermon shared by Chris Jordan
Summary: Are you hungry and thirsty for MORE in your life? If so, then come to Jesus, drink of His presence, and let the river flow!
Series: Come and See
Audience: General adults
About Sermon Contributor
COME AND SEE #9: THIRSTY? COME TO JESUS, DRINK AND FLOW!
“On the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried out, saying, "If anyone thirsts, let him come to Me and drink. He who believes in Me, as the Scripture has said, out of his heart will flow rivers of living water." But this He spoke concerning the Spirit, whom those believing in Him would receive; for the Holy Spirit was not yet given, because Jesus was not yet glorified.” (John 7:37-39).
THE BIG IDEA: Are you hungry and thirsty for MORE in your life? If so, then come to Jesus, drink of His presence, and let the river flow!
I. COME TO JESUS:
• Jesus said, “If anyone thirsts, let Him come to me…”
• “Ho! Everyone who thirsts, Come to the waters.” (Isaiah 55:1).
• If we don’t realize we’re thirsty / needy, we won’t come to Jesus.
“Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.” (Matthew 11:28-30).
“Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me - watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly.” (The Message Bible).
• This is the most important thing that we can do – come to Jesus.
• Only Jesus can truly satisfy the deepest longings of our heart.
• QUOTE: “Now the remarkable thing, yea, the blessed thing, is, that not only is the believer himself satisfied, but he overflows with that which satisfies—out of his innermost parts "flow (forth) rivers of living water.” (AW Pink).
II. DRINK OF HIS PRESENCE:
• Jesus said, “Come to me and drink.”
• “A Psalm of David when he was in the wilderness of Judah. O God, You are my God; Early will I seek You; My soul thirsts for You; My flesh longs for You In a dry and thirsty land Where there is no water.” (Psalm 63:1).
• Sometimes the Lord will let us go through the wilderness to stir up our hunger and thirst for more of His presence.
• STORY: Getting tired of ‘church as usual’ and seeking and soaking – extended times of prayer and worship, and seeing REVIVAL – signs, wonders, healings, etc.
• What does it mean to ‘drink’?
o In prayer – spending time soaking / abiding in Jesus, just being in His presence
o In worship – as we praise and worship Him, we come into His presence
o In His Word – “as newborn babes, desire the pure milk of the word, that you may grow thereby, if indeed you have tasted that the Lord is gracious.” (1 Peter 2:2-3).
III. LET THE RIVER FLOW:
• Jesus said, “out of your heart will flow rivers of living water.”
• We are filled up to flow out… don’t be a Dead Sea Christian!
“1 Then he (an angel) brought me back to the door of the temple; and there was water, flowing from under the threshold of the temple toward the east, for the
Comments and Shared Ideas
Join the discussion