Staff Picks of the Week:
Memorial Day 2013
Memorial Day 2013 Preaching Bundle »
Greater Love Video Illustration » Everlasting God Worship Music Video »
Sabbath Sabbath Preaching Bundle »
1 Outta 7 Video Illustration » Before The Throne… Worship Music Video »
Text: James 3:13-18
1. Read James 3:13-18
2. An angel appears at a faculty meeting and tells the dean that in return for his unselfish and exemplary behavior, the Lord will reward him with his choice of infinite wealth, wisdom or beauty. Without hesitating, the dean selects infinite wisdom.
"Done!" says the angel, and disappears in a cloud of smoke and a bolt of lightning. Now, all heads turn toward the dean, who sits surrounded by a faint halo of light. At length, one of his colleagues whispers, "Say something."
The dean looks at them and says, "I should have taken the money."
Betsy Devine and Joel E. Cohen, Absolute Zero Gravity, Simon & Schuster.
3. Everybody desires wisdom. When God asked Solomon what he desired of all the things in the world, Solomon chose wisdom.
4. Wisdom is not what you know, but what you do with what you know.
Proposition: James tells us there are two kinds of wisdom, but the truly wise seeks after Godís wisdom.
Transition: First he tells us to...
I. We Show Our Wisdom by Our Behavior (13)
A. Who Is Wise
1. James begins by saying "Who is a wise man and endued with knowledge among you?"
a. The word "wise" was the technical term among the Jews for the teacher, the scribe, the rabbi (TDNT, 7:505).
b. The term "endued with undertanding" describes one who is expert, who has special knowledge or training. - Expositorís Bible Commentary, The, Pradis CD-ROM
c. In other word, he is talking about someone who is claims to know whatís going on.
2. If you claim to be wise and know whatís going on "let him shew out of a good conversation his works with meekness of wisdom."
a. The KJV term "conversation" is not to be restricted to speech. In 1611 it possessed the much broader meaning of "conduct," "manner of life." - Expositorís Bible Commentary, The, Pradis CD-ROM
b. Itís not just talking about what you say, but also what you do.
c. Have you ever known anyone who claimed to be wise but who acted foolishly? True wisdom can be measured by the depth of a personís character.
d. Just as you can identify a tree by the type of fruit it produces, you can evaluate your wisdom by the way you act. óLife Application Bible Notes
3. He says to show that you are a wise person by living out a life of meekness that comes from wisdom.
a. When we talk about meekness, we are not talking about weakness, but strength under control.
b. The word was used to describe a horse that had been broken and trained to submit to the bridle (William Barclay, New Testament Words [London: SC M, 1971], pp.241-42).
c. We are talking about a life that shows that it is under the control of the Holy Spirit. A life that not only displays the gifts of the Spirit, but also the fruit of the Spirit.
B. Let Your Wisdom Show
1. Wisdom is the power to see and the inclination to choose the best and highest goal, together with the surest means of attaining it. J.I. Packer, Knowing God, p. 80.
2. Again James tells us, as he has through this entire epistle, that the best way to tell someone what God has done in your life is to show them.
3. For some people they wonít listen to what you have say about Jesus until you show them you can live like Jesus.
4. 1 Pt. 2:9 But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth
- Growth in Christ
- All Sermons on Growth in Christ
- Text Illustrations on Growth in Christ
- Video Illustrations on Growth in Christ
- PowerPoint Template on Growth in Christ
- Scripture on Growth in Christ
Join the discussion