Staff Picks of the Week:
Memorial Day 2013
Memorial Day 2013 Preaching Bundle »
Greater Love Video Illustration » Everlasting God Worship Music Video »
Sabbath Sabbath Preaching Bundle »
1 Outta 7 Video Illustration » Before The Throne… Worship Music Video »
(:1A) INTRODUCTION: “Praise the Lord!”
I. (:1B-6) LET ALL HEAVEN PRAISE THE LORD
“Praise the Lord from the heavens; Praise Him in the heights!’
A. (:1b-4) Who?
1. “Angels” / “hosts”
2. “Sun and moon” / “stars of light”
3. “Highest heavens” / “waters that are above the heavens”
B. (:5-6) Why?
1. Created by the Command of the Lord
“Let them praise the name of the Lord,
For He commanded and they were created.”
2. Established and Sustained by the Decree of the Lord
“He has also established them forever and ever;
He has made a decree which will not pass away.”
II. (:7-14A) LET ALL EARTH PRAISE THE LORD
“Praise the Lord from the earth”
A. (:7-12) Who?
1. “Sea monsters and all deeps”
2. “Fire and hail, snow and clouds;
Stormy wind, fulfilling His word”
3. “Mountains and all hills”
4. “Fruit trees and all cedars”
5. “Beasts and all cattle”
6. “Creeping things and winged fowl”
7. “Kings of the earth and all peoples; Princes and all judges of the earth;
Both young men and virgins; Old men and children.”
B. (:13-14A) Why?
1. He is Exalted Above All Things
“Let them praise the name of the Lord, For His name alone is exalted;
His glory is above earth and heaven.”
2. He Exalts a Strong Savior for His Chosen People
“And He has lifted up a horn for His people,
Praise for all His godly ones;
Even for the sons of Israel, a people near to Him.”
(:14B) CONCLUSION: “Praise the Lord!”
* * * * * * * * * *
1) Reflect on singing God’s praises in the same choir as His holy angels and all of His creation. What beautiful harmony we will make throughout all eternity.
2) Should not the Creator receive continual praises from His creatures? What happens when we lose sight of that Creator / Creature distinction? What is the world doing to try to eradicate that distinction? Cf. other religions which make the mistake of worshiping
the creature more than the Creator who is blessed forever. (Study Romans 1)
3) Think of how worthy the Lord is of our praise. All people – from kings and princes to the most lowly – from the youngest to the oldest – all have in common the fact that they stand on a level plane before God as His creatures designed to offer up His praises.
4) Study the concept of the “horn for his people” (vs. 14). Note how a horn connotes strength. What are the Messianic implications here?
Download the entire Psalms commentary in pdf format
(including notes on each psalm from other commentators)
- Worship: General
- All Sermons on Worship: General
- Text Illustrations on Worship: General
- Video Illustrations on Worship: General
- PowerPoint Template on Worship: General
- Scripture on Worship: General
Join the discussion