Staff Picks of the Week:
Memorial Day 2013
Memorial Day 2013 Preaching Bundle »
Greater Love Video Illustration » Everlasting God Worship Music Video »
Sabbath Sabbath Preaching Bundle »
1 Outta 7 Video Illustration » Before The Throne… Worship Music Video »
Text: Romans 4:25–5:2
When I think on this particular season of Easter, I cannot help but be amazed at the depth of God’s love for us–for all people. I cannot help but stand in awe of the real fact that God would love an imperfect, sinful, undeserving people so much–that instead of leaving us to die apart from Him because of our sin–He would go to such great lengths to rescue us. It amazes me that He would love us that much–that He would send His very own Son to come to this world and offer His life as a sacrifice in our place.
I think of such words to the hymn:
“Such love, such wondrous love that God should love a sinner such as I–how wonderful is love like this”.
And the words to a popular praise chorus:
“Amazing love, how can it be–that you my King would die for me??”
**And if dying in our place was not enough–God raised His Son from the dead–breaking the power and control of sin and death–that He may live forevermore–giving new life to all that would believe and turn to Him!!!!
This season of Easter–is one of great reflection, but also a season of great rejoicing and celebration for those that have experienced the new life that comes from the Living Savior–Jesus Christ, the Lord!!!
As I think on our text, it becomes more evident that Jesus did not come to earth to resolve a problem for Himself. He did not endure the mockery, the contempt, the hatred, the rejection and persecution because He had to or deserved it. He did not taste the pain and agony of death on a cross because of any sin or crime He committed–nor was He resurrected because He had something to prove to Himself. Rather, it becomes powerfully clear that He did it all for you and I–for this world of dying people— we were the reason He came – we were the reason such love and mercy has been shown!!!
***JESUS, the Son of God, came not for His own good or purpose–but came for the purpose of showing God to man and saving man to God!!!
The first truth I would like us to see is:
1. We were the reason why Jesus came to bring salvation.
• Salvation means being rescued or saved from harm, ruin or loss.
• Romans 4:25 says “He [Jesus] was delivered over to death for OUR sins...”
• Jesus was sent into this world to be the Savior–to be the One who rescues mankind from the consequences, power and destruction of sin–in order to bring us into freedom and life.
• This Scripture tells us that Jesus was given over or handed over to be crucified and put to death–not because of a crime He committed or sin of His own–but His righteous life was given in exchange for the unrighteous lives of men and women, boy and girl.
• The fact that Jesus was completely right and innocent is confirmed by the one of the thieves that was crucified next to Him.
• In Luke 23, when Jesus was nailed and hung on the cross, one criminal next to Him yelled insults at Him and mocked Him. The criminal on the other side of Jesus rebuked the mocker by saying “Don’t you fear God since you are serving the same sentence? We are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds deserve. But this man has done nothing wrong”.
• Even a convicted criminal declared that Jesus was righteous and innocent.
• The Scriptures also tell us in Hebrews 4:15 that Jesus “was tempted in every way, just as we are–yet was without sin”. SO HE DID NOT DO THIS FOR HIM–BUT FOR US!!
- Easter: Resurrection
- All Sermons on Easter: Resurrection
- Text Illustrations on Easter: Resurrection
- Video Illustrations on Easter: Resurrection
- PowerPoint Template on Easter: Resurrection
- Scripture on Easter: Resurrection
Join the discussion