What Does Jesus Really Want us To Do?
Sermon shared by Paul Fritz
Summary: Thirty-one things Jesus wants us to do even though they do not come naturally.
Audience: General adults
About Sermon Contributor
I John 2:6 - "The one who says he abides in Him ought to walk in a manner in which He Himself once walked."
Quote: "If you really want to know the will of God for your life follow the footsteps of Jesus." (Bingham Hunter, Trinity International University)
Illustration: As you therefore have received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in Him. --Colossians 2:6
Walking is just one step away from falling. Thatís why venturing out on two unsteady legs can be frightening to a very young child. Yet children keep at it until walking becomes second nature.
This is similar to learning to "walk" as a Christian. We put our faith into practice one step at a time. Pastor and author F. B. Meyer explains, "We received Jesus into our hearts by faith. . . . In the same manner we must live always and everywhere, receiving from Him, by faith, grace upon grace, and allowing what He works in to work out in all manner of godliness, tenderness, and Christlikeness. This practice of looking to Jesus for grace in every circumstance of life tends to become more and more habitual."
Paul urged believers to live by faith so they would become firmly established in their walk with Christ (Col. 2:6-7). We do that by focusing our thoughts on Him: what He has done, what He is doing now, and what He will do for us. We take a risk by depending completely on Him, obeying His commands, and putting His teaching into practice.
Walking with Christ may sometimes be frightening, but it is the only way to make progress in our spiritual development. Are you walking with Him today? (Our Daily Bread)
1. Jesus wants us to apologize and seek forgiveness both from God and from those we have sinned against through His power. (Mt. 5:23,24)
2. Jesus wants us to withstand criticism, false accusations, and misunderstandings for His purposes with His support. (Mt. 5:11,12)
3. Jesus wants us to humble ourselves under the mighty hand of Godís plans, power and perspectives with His Spirit. (Jn 16:13)
4. Jesus wants us to love other people as He loves us with His agape. (John 13:34,35 & I Cor. 13:4-7)
5. Jesus wants us to not give into the temptation to take revenge on those who hurt us because of His gracious forgiveness. (Matt. 6:12,13)
6. Jesus wants us to seek first His kingdom and His righteousness even during times of anxiety, shortage of provision and hardship with His faith. (Matt. 6:33,34)
7. Jesus wants us to discipline ourselves for the purpose of godliness even when we feel discouraged, frustrated or emotionally spent with His Spiritís promises. (2 Tim. 1:7)
8. Jesus wants us to give generously to help fulfill His great commission (Mt. 28:18-20) even when we are unsure of our financial security because of His promises to provide. (Phil 4:19)
9. Jesus wants us to confess our sins of commission, omission, disposition and wrong assumptions to be cleansed of all unrighteousness. (I John 1:9)
10. Jesus wants us to serve others with a humble mind looking not just for our own interests but for the concerns of others with His attitude. (Phil. 2:1-5)
11. Jesus wants us to be courageous in the midst of attacks with His strength. (John 16:33)
12. Jesus wants us to avoid being resentful, jealous, bitter or angry because of His resilience. (Heb. 12:1-3)
13. Jesus wants us to follow Godís priorities rather than our own because He said,
Comments and Shared Ideas
Join the discussion