Staff Picks of the Week:
Memorial Day 2013
Memorial Day 2013 Preaching Bundle »
Greater Love Video Illustration » Everlasting God Worship Music Video »
Sabbath Sabbath Preaching Bundle »
1 Outta 7 Video Illustration » Before The Throne… Worship Music Video »
I. Understanding what an elder is.
A. Elders are shepherds.
1. Shepherds in Bible times were not someone who showed up in a strangers pasture, put in eight hours and then went home.
2. There was a genuine relationship between the shepherd and his sheep. Through the long time spent together and the frequent touching the shepherds smelled like sheep.
3. Elders are not merely some stranger plugged into a position of authority or job; they are those who have developed a heart for the sheep through frequent contact.
4. The best elders are those who already have a flock that has developed because of their genuineness, service and concern for people.
5. Shepherding is not about making decisions or running the church. Shepherding is about developing relationships and caring for sheep.
B. Elders are mentors.
1. Elders are those men who have walked the trail ahead of us for a long time pointing us in the right direction to go.
2. We are attracted to good mentors by the way they live their lives. Their lives provide a positive message which shows us they way to go.
3. When we are tempted to throw in the towel they give us courage to go on because they have kept on, in spite of everything.
4. Someone once eloquently put it this way, ďYou write a sermon a chapter a day by the deeds that you do and the words that you say. Men read what you write whether false or true, so what is the Gospel according to you?
C. Elders are equippers.
1. Elders prepare people for service through one on one time and other teaching opportunities. They help individuals discover their God given gifts.
2. They guide individuals to areas of ministry that match their gifts and passions and provide them with the tools and skills that they need to carry it out effectively.
3. Never forget, whether shepherding, mentoring or equipping; elders do their best work through relationships.
4. An elder is to be known by the credibility of his walk with God, the genuineness of his service and the authenticity of his relationship with the sheep.
5. Elders cannot help but to smell like sheep.
II. The Biblical definition of an elder.
- Elders: Church
- All Sermons on Elders: Church
- Text Illustrations on Elders: Church
- Video Illustrations on Elders: Church
- PowerPoint Template on Elders: Church
- Scripture on Elders: Church
- Related Sermons
- Sermons related to Acts 20:17-20:28
- All sermons from Scott Chambers
- Sermons on elder
- Sermons on Shepherd
Join the discussion