What Is Backsliding
Sermon shared by Ralph Andrus
Summary: The Case & Cure For Blacksliding
Audience: Believer adults
About Sermon Contributor
2/23/97 Jer. 3:6-18
WHAT IS BACKSLIDING?
Jer. 3:6-10 compared with todays news
BORN-AGAIN MAKES LITTLE DIFFERENCE IN BEHAVIOR
------->:A ROPER poll
National & International Religion
Report -- Oct 8 1990
- The behavior of born-again Christians after
their conversion experience is not very
different from what it was before. In fact,
the survey showed that participation in 3
major types of activity :
Adultery - 2% before -- 5% After born again
Illegal drug use - 5% Before -- 9% After
Drinking - Driving while intoxicated
4% Before -- 12% After
- Don Otis leader of the poll said that their
is a real moral decline in the church today.
------->:George Barna "TODAY’S PASTOR" P. 48
- Only 4 out of every 10 will read their bible this week.
- Those reading during the week will spend 1hr. there will be more time spent in showering, commuting to & from work, watching tv, talking on the phone,reading the newspaper.
- Most lay people cannot name the 10 commandments
- Most do not know that it was JESUS who preached the Sermon on the Mount.
- Ask about the book of Thomas and 1/2 of all adults will be unawre that such a book is not in the Bible.
- The Gospels (The 1st 4 books in NT) are not known to most people
- The most quoted verse is
"God helps those who help who help themselves"
is not in the Bible but from Ben Franklin
I. WHAT IF I CLAIM TO BE SAVED AND YET LIVE A SINFUL LIFE.
1. There is a possibility that I have never been saved
- I Jn 2:19
They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would [no doubt] have continued with us: but [they went out], that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us.
- I Jn. 3:18-22
3:18 My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth.
19 And hereby we know that we are of the truth, and shall assure our hearts before him.
20 For if our heart condemn us, God is greater than our heart, and knoweth all things.
21 Beloved, if our heart condemn us not, [then] have we confidence toward God.
22 And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him,
because we keep his commandments, and do those
things that are pleasing in his sight.
2. There is a possibility that I am in a backsliddenm condition.
- The flesh is the same
- The devil must be dealt with
- The world is antagonistic
3. Examples of backslidders in the Bible
- The Churches in Asia (Rev. 2-3)
II. WHEN AM I IN A BACKSLIDDEN CONDITION?
Two sociologist have discovered a formula of sorts for developing a faith that sticks or dosn’t stick depending which you use for young people.
- A consistent Christian home + regular church attendance + few religious doubts + membership in a Catholic or conservative church = PERSISTENT BELIEFS.
The formula for kids who end up rejecting their faith.
- Witnessing hypocrisy and dishonesty in the church + infrequent church attendance + religious doubts + membership in a mainline Protestant denomination
= RELIGIOUS DROPOUT
The sociologist also found that those who’d
abandoned their faith were: less happy dissatisfied with life held more liberal views had lower self-esteem Than their religious counterparts.
-:GROUP Mag. Sept.
Comments and Shared Ideas
Join the discussion