When Sin Is In The Camp
Sermon shared by Jimmy Giffin
Summary: The nation of Israel is stopped on their march into the Promise land. The reason why and the solution are here in this message.
Denomination: Church of God
Audience: General adults
About Sermon Contributor
WHEN THERE IS SIN IN THE CAMP
Text: II Corinthians 10:4; Joshua 7
The weapons of our warfare are not carnal. (worldly)
They are mighty through God to pull down strongholds.
Whether we want to admit to it or not the Church is involved in a spiritual war.
The enemy we face will do anything to win.
The problem is, many Christians do not fight with the same fervency.
We have become complacent in our walk with God.
The attitude of if it doesnít directly affect me then I wonít mess with it is rampant in churches across America today.
The enemy has set up strongholds in the Camp.
God has provided weapons to tear them down, but it seems the need to do it isnít stressed today.
As we look to the book of Joshua, we will see the need to pull down the strongholds of the enemy.
We will look today at the stronghold of sin, and see what happens:
WHEN THERE IS SIN IN THE CAMP
I. The victory at Jericho
A. God had done a marvelous work.
1. The battle.
2. Walls 32 feet high, sun dried brick, inner wall 11-12 ft. thick
outer wall 6 ft. thick. 12-27 ft between, walls tied together
at various intervals.
3. The victory. Josh 6: 20-27
B. The Lord was with Joshua.
1. Affirmation of Josh. 1
2. Godís promise was there.
C. The defeat of Ai. (36 men killed.)
II. The sin of Israel.
A. The whole nation identified as committing the sin. 7:1
B. Achan had taken something that was devoted to God.
1. The silver 200 shekels, the wedge of gold 50 shekels,
The Babylonian garment ( woven gold; priceless)
2. I coveted them and I took them and I hid them.
3. Sin goes from the eye, to the heart, to the hand.
C. It wasnít just stealing the stuff.
1. He took what was devoted to God.
a. The things that were Godís.
b. The devoted things.
Zondervanís Pictorial Dictionary Of Bible Words:
Devoted thing That which is set apart unto the Lord and therefore no longer belongs to the former owner nor may it be used as a sacrifice.
2. Saul and the Amalekites. I Sam 15
Told to destroy all, but spared the best of livestock and
3. He took what was Godís and put it with his stuff like it was
3. What things that are Godís have we put with our stuff?
III. The penalty.
A. The whole nation suffered a defeat.
B. When sin was uncovered.
1. Achan and whole family stoned.
2. All possessions and bodies burned. In the valley of Achor
A. Achor will become a place of rest Is. 65:10
B. and a place of hope. Hosea 2:15
C. Very severe penalty. Family and all.
1. We need to stop playing patty- cake with sin. (Nation)
2. Sin must be dealt with harshly.
3. God is not tolerant of sin.
A. Family name wasnít enough to save them.
B. Sign over the door isnít enough.
IV. The saddest thing about this story.
A. Israel didnít even realize that God was not with them.
Comments and Shared Ideas
Join the discussion