Where Do We Go From Here?
Sermon shared by Jonathan Russell
Summary: A look at how to move forward and grow in our spiritual lives.
Audience: General adults
About Sermon Contributor
1) We can make the choice to do nothing: to stay where we are.
2) We can make the choice to go in reverse: backtrack
3) We can make the choice to move forward: grow
How can we follow through on our choice to move forward in our spiritual journey with Christ?
1. Moving forward requires FORTITUDE (v. 27-29)
A. Peter needed fortitude because this was something he had never done before.
B. Peter needed fortitude because he didnít quite know what the outcome would be.
C. Peter needed fortitude because he was stepping outside his comfort zone.
2. Moving forward requires FOCUS (v. 30)
A. Our primary focus is to be on God (cf. John 5:19; Matt. 6:33)
B. Our secondary focus is to be on others (cf. Heb. 10:24)
1 Cor. 6:19-20
3. Moving forward requires FAILURE (v. 30)
A. Peter had to fail; failure is part of moving forward
B. Edison failed for 1 1/2 years
C. Ruth hit 714 homeruns, but struck out 1330 times
D. Biblical "greats" have failed: Moses, Noah, David, Elijah, Jonah, Joshua
4. Moving forward requires FAITH (v. 31)
A. Peter was to determine what Christ wanted him to do (get out of the boat), then do it. He was to leave the outcome to God. Thatís faith.
B. Heb. 11:6
C. Moving forward means that we determine the will of God for our lives, then do that will of God, leaving the outcome to God.
Comments and Shared Ideas
Join the discussion