Summary: You know it doesn’t matter too much who is in what position in our lives until we settle the matter of who is on first. In other words, we need to know who is in first place in our lives. This is a issue that must be settled!
• Whatever it is, that thing or person is your God!
II. GOD’S REASON (verse 2)
A. God could make this demand of Israel because He had paid the price for them.
• He had purchased them unto Himself and they were His.
• He chose them, loved them, delivered them and blessed them.
• Therefore, they owed Him absolute reverence and worship.
B. How much more do we, the Blood bought Church of Christ, owe Him?
• We owe Him our total devotion!
• Notice the price He paid:
1. He came down from Heaven – John 1:1, 14; Philippians 2:5-8
• He left glory to come down to us.
2. He endured poverty and hardship – Matthew 8:20
• He gave up his royalty to work and labor amongst us.
3. He was rejected by the very people He came to save – John 1:11
4. He was scourged – Matthew 27:26; Psalm 129:3
5. He was beaten – Luke 22:63-64
6. He was spit upon – Matthew 27:30
7. He was mocked – Matthew 27:26-29
8. He was humiliated – Matthew 27:35
9. He was crucified – Luke 23:38
10. His beard was plucked out – Isaiah 50:6
11. He died – John 19:30
12. He loved us – Jeremiah 31:3; John 3:16
13. He called us – Matthew 11:28; John 6:44
14. He received us – John 6:37
15. He saved us – Ephesians 2:8-9
16. He cleansed us and forgave us every sin – Colossians 2:13-14
17. He adopted us – Ephesians 1:5
18. He keeps us – 1 Peter 1:5
C. He has every right to demand exclusive worship from His children.
• Wouldn’t you agree?
III. MAN’S RESPONSE
A. There are only 2 possible ways in which man can respond to this 1st commandment.
1. Man can continue to place everything in the world before God.
o This is rebellion and will end in hell for the lost and a life of chastisement and loss of reward for the saint – 1 Cor. 3:13-15.
2. Or, man can comply with God’s commandment.
• To do so will result in a blessed life and a glorious eternity.
B. As you look into your heart right now, what, or who, do you see on the throne of your heart?
• Anything or anyone other than Jesus is an idol!
Okay let’s go back to the beginning, Who’s on first? The only solution to idols is to bring them to God and leave them before Him. He excels in destroying them and replacing them with His wonderful presence and glory. Remember, He will tolerate no one but Himself on the throne of your heart. What will you do? Let’s pray.