Why do I have to obey my parents?
Sermon shared by Chris Smith
Summary: Sermon directed towards older children - teenagers regarding Godís command to honor and obey parents.
Audience: General teen
About Sermon Contributor
Ephesians 6:1-3 (for the young people)
Why should you Honor and obey your parents?
When God gave to Moses the Ten Commandments, He gave them a complete system. In it, He placed everything that was necessary for His people to be an example to the other nations. You see, God wants His people to be different. God wants His people to show love, mercy, and honor. The Ten Commandments all go together. And the fifth commandment is to honor your Father and your Mother.
Paul tells us here in his letter to the church at Ephesus that the most important way for us to honor our parents is to obey them.
This is not an option for Godís people. And right here in the Bible, we see how important it is for you young people to listen, obey, and honor your parents, because the Bible says that honoring your parents will ensure you a safe journey through life.
You know, there are some things you do that will tell you if you donít really honor your parents:
If youíre looking for ways to do the things that you know Mom and Dad donít like.
If youíre always thinking up excuses to tell your friends why you canít do the things they do.
If youíre thinking about what will please your friends more than what will please your parents.
God requires of all of us that we honor our parents.
Thatís the system He set up. And He has set it up in such a way that, even if the parents donít believe in God, or donít always obey Godís commandments Ė if the children honor and obey their parents, God will be able to bless that family and use the children as a witness to Godís love.
Did you know that there are many reasons why God created people the way He did? And that means that when God created Adam and Eve, He gave them a way to have children. That means that it was Godís idea to have children on the earth.
And here are Top Ten Reasons Why God Created Children:
10. Because parents never know how to dress right with the latest fashion.
9. So when kids come back from Sunday School, they can show their parents where to find John 3:16 in the Bible.
8. To keep parents from believing they know all the answers.
7. To help parents with their communication skills by explaining things the easy way.
6. To hold parents responsible for keeping Godís commandments by forcing them to set an example.
5. To teach their parents what true forgiveness is all about.
4. To give parents a fast moving target when there are things to do around the house that they ought to be doing themselves.
3. To give frustrated fathers and worried mothers a really good reason to be faithful to Jesus Christ.
2. Payback for the grandparents.
1. To teach parents what God goes through every time they disobey His Commandments.
God knows what He is doing.
When Mom or Dad question what youíre up to, it isnít because we donít trust you. If weíve never heard of the type of music youíre listening to, if weíve never been to a certain place you want to hang out at, if we donít know about the friend that youíve made and we donít know their parents Ė weíre going to ask questionís. Why? Is it because we donít trust you? No, itís because we donít trust the other guy.
Itís because weíve learned many things the hard way, and we want to protect you the best way we can.
Itís because we have done the things youíre doing now, and we know
Comments and Shared Ideas
Join the discussion