Staff Picks of the Week:
Memorial Day 2013
Memorial Day 2013 Preaching Bundle »
Greater Love Video Illustration » Everlasting God Worship Music Video »
Sabbath Sabbath Preaching Bundle »
1 Outta 7 Video Illustration » Before The Throne… Worship Music Video »
What on earth am I here for?
1. More and more people in our world are finding a purpose-less life.
1. With an increasing god-less culture, we are led to believe that we have no purpose in life other than to find satisfaction for our fleshly appetites.
2. Viktor Frankl, who endured 3 years of a Nazi Concentration Camp called a purposeless life an existential vacuum.
i. Just as we try to satisfy the inner hunger with more than food, so we also try to satisfy the emptiness of life with meaningful and purposeful thoughts and activities.
3. If meaning is what we desire, then meaninglessness is a hole, an emptiness, in our lives.
i. Whenever you have a vacuum, of course, things rush in to fill it.
ii. Frankl suggests that one of the most conspicuous signs of this is boredom.
iii. He points out how often people, when they finally have the time to do what they want, don’t seem to want to do anything!
iv. People go into a tailspin when they retire; students get drunk every weekend; we submerge ourselves in passive entertainment every evening (television).
4. As Frankl observed people living and dying daily in the concentration camp, he asked the question, -- what is the difference between what drives some people to continue fighting for life, while other people simply die?
i. His answer was: Survivors had some MEANING or PURPOSE -- some HOPE in the future to propel them forward.
ii. You might remember the classic movie, “It’s a Wonderful Life.” We all need to know our purpose in life. We cannot go on unless we do.
2. In order to Understand the purpose of my life…
1. It all starts with God.
i. “it” is not about me.
1. It’s not about what I want.
2. It’s not about what my dreams are
3. It’s not even about what seems to make me happy.
ii. Focusing on me will never reveal the truth about the purpose of my life.
iii. My Theology Professor at SWBTS told us….you cannot begin with man. You must begin your search for God with God.
iv. Looking inward won’t bring you answers…only more questions.
v. "For even though they knew God, they did not honor Him as God, or give thanks; but they became futile in their speculations, and their foolish heart was darkened. Professing to be wise, they became fools" - Romans 1:21-22
1. The delusion of trying to understand ourselves apart from God will lead us into further delusion.
a. We will only believe bigger and bigger lies and drift further and further
- God Brings Purpose
- All Sermons on God Brings Purpose
- Text Illustrations on God Brings Purpose
- Video Illustrations on God Brings Purpose
- PowerPoint Template on God Brings Purpose
- Scripture on God Brings Purpose
- Related Sermons
- Sermons related to Romans 8:6-8:6
- All sermons from Robert Higgins
- Sermons on Purpose
- Sermons on Futility
Join the discussion