Why It is Important to Learn to Cope With Imperfections
Sermon shared by Paul Fritz
Summary: Why It is Important to Cope With Imperfections - 2 Cor. 12:9,10
Audience: General adults
About Sermon Contributor
Why It is Important to Learn to Cope With Imperfections - 2 Cor. 12:9,10
Quote:Donít let the littleness in others bring out the
littleness in you.
The following types of people have a difficult time coping because of their inability to cope with imperfections of various types.
1. Perfectionism - Perfectionists have a hard time coping with anything less than perfection in themselves, in others or their circumstances. We all know people who insist that nearly everything must be without flaws or it is unacceptable. Godís grace allows us to realize that He accepts us as less than perfect and so we should be so gracious in overcoming any perfectionistic tendency in ourself, others or our situation.
Quote:To belittle is to be little.
2. Idealists - Idealists struggle to see the bad in any situation as they tend to see everything through rose colored glasses. Some men can only see how beautiful their girlfriend is only to be shocked by all of the flaws that are slightly below the surface after time passes. Godís grace gives us the ability to see people with a touch of reality so that we recognize we are all sinners in need of Godís grace to be found acceptable, useful and dignified.
3. Holy Rollers - Some people refuse to tolerate anything less than holiness, purity and total sanctification in others. Pharisaical people refuse to accept the fact that some people are yet to be complete mature in Christ. Godís grace helps us accept people just as Jesus accepts us for the glory of the Lord. (Rom. 15:7)
4. god complex people - Some people have an inability to tolerate any form of human weakness. These people have a god-like complex that refuses to have to deal with peoplesí vulnerability, inefficiencies or ineffectiveness of any kind. Godís grace helps us learn that just as the Lord tolerates our weaknesses so we should cope with others vulnerabilities as God has allowed these weaknesses in some people to teach them greater dependence upon Him.
Quote:God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble. Submit yourselves, then to God. Resist the deil and he will flee from you. (James 4:6,7)
5. Avoider of negatives - Some people refuse to deal with any negative emotions because they have been hurt in the past. By moving away from any negative feelings these individuals try to shut themselves off from fears, anger or sadness of any type. Disappointments, discouragements or unrequited love is something they refuse to deal with. Godís grace helps us work through these negative emotions so we can appreciate how pain refines us more in to Christís image of what He wants us to become. People who are dependent upon Godís grace are more sensitive to the needs of others.
6. Depressed people - These individuals have such wild swings of their moods that the no longer can process sadness or anger without feeling overly burdened down by the weight of their emotions. Moody people are sometimes failing to appropriate how Godís grace is sufficient for the good times and the rough times. Let the grace of God remind you how He is with us even when we are walking through the dark valleys and shadows of death.
Quote:Remember, even when there are shadows it means that there is light just over the next hill.
7. Self-Image Problem People - These individuals have a hard time bringing the less than ideal parts of themselves into relationship with
Comments and Shared Ideas
Join the discussion