Staff Picks of the Week:
Memorial Day 2013
Memorial Day 2013 Preaching Bundle »
Greater Love Video Illustration » Everlasting God Worship Music Video »
Sabbath Sabbath Preaching Bundle »
1 Outta 7 Video Illustration » Before The Throne… Worship Music Video »
Foundational Text: Isaiah 9:6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.
This evening as we are poised for Christmas in just a few short days, I want to share concerning our Wonderful Counselor. I believe it is most interesting to note that the Holy Ghost through Isaiah mentions, “and His name shall be called”
Isaiah 8:19-22 And when they shall say unto you, Seek unto them that have familiar spirits, and unto wizards that peep, and that mutter: should not a people seek unto their God? for the living to the dead? (20) To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them. (21) And they shall pass through it, hardly bestead and hungry: and it shall come to pass, that when they shall be hungry, they shall fret themselves, and curse their king and their God, and look upward. (22) And they shall look unto the earth; and behold trouble and darkness, dimness of anguish; and they shall be driven to darkness.
Up to now, God’s people have been calling upon mediums, wizards, palm reading, witchcraft, séances, horoscopes, and psychic fortune tellers. The good news is met when He begins with for unto us! Now instead of looking unto the earth, we look to Him.
I. His Name shall be called
A. Called = meaning to call, to declare, to summon, to invite, to read, to be called, to be invoked, to be named.
1. Wonderful = pele’ (peh’-leh) a miracle: - marvellous thing, wonder (-ful, -fully). A masculine noun meaning a wonder, a miracle, a marvel. This word is used to represent something unusual or extraordinary. Except for Lam_1:9, this term always appears in the context of God’s words or deeds. It is used of God’s actions among His people
2. Counselor = yâ‛ats (yaw-ats’) ; to advise; reflexively to deliberate or resolve: - advertise, take advice, advise (well), consult, (give take) counsel (-lor), determine, devise, guide, purpose. yā‛asò: A verb meaning to advise, to consult, to counsel, to be advised, to deliberate, to conspire, to take counsel.
3. Mighty God = gibbôr gibbôr (ghib-bore’, ghib-bore) powerful; by implication warrior, tyrant: - champion, chief, X excel, giant, man, mighty (man, one), strong (man), valiant man.
4. Everlasting Father = ‛ad (ad) properly a (peremptory) terminus, that is, (by implication) duration, in the sense of perpetuity (substantially as a noun, either with or without a preposition): - eternity, ever (-lasting, -more), old, perpetually, + world without end.
5. Prince of Peace
a. Prince = sìar (sar) a head person (of any rank or class): - captain (that had rule), chief (captain), general, governor, keeper, lord, ([-task-]) master, prince (-ipal), ruler, steward.
b. shâlôm shâlôm (shaw-lome’, shaw-lome’) safe, that is, (figuratively) well, happy, friendly; also (abstractly) welfare, that is, health, prosperity, peace: - X do, familiar, X fare, favour, + friend, X greet, (good) health, (X perfect, such as be at) peace (-able, -ably), prosper (-ity, -ous),
- All Sermons on Christmas
- Text Illustrations on Christmas
- Video Illustrations on Christmas
- PowerPoint Template on Christmas
- Scripture on Christmas
Join the discussion