Proverbs 3.5 - Four Levels of Faith
As we walk this walk we call Christianity many of us will be at different levels in our walk, or different levels in our faith. We want to move forward, we want to do great things for God. We want to be servants of the most high. But what we lack at times is faith.
Faith is the most important part of our walk. If we don’t believe, we can really receive. We must truly trust in God but that’s only according to our faith. If our faith is weak well our actions will be weak. But when our faith is strong our actions will be great.
Prov 3:5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
And when we can do that we can over come the world
1 John 5:4 (NASB)
4 For whatever is born of God overcomes the world; and this is the victory that has overcome the world—our faith.
Faith is the key to us overcoming the world. It’s by faith that we’ve been saved and it is by faith that we grow in our walk.
So we must understand a few things about faith first.
1. And that’s the idea that there are actually four levels of faith.
2. We all either fall on one of these four levels of faith.
3. Now regardless of where we fall we are stick at any particular level.
4. We can all as we grow move on to another level.
I. Simple Faith
Believing God will do for you what you’ve seen him do for you before
1. It’s limited to what you seen him do for you...
2. It is good faith there is nothing wrong with it,
3. But it’s simple.
4. Its your basic faith
David - 1 Sam 17:37 The LORD who delivered me from the paw of the lion and the paw of the bear will deliver me from the hand of this Philistine." Saul said to David, "Go, and the LORD be with you."
Explain David’s situation with the philistines: Because of what God has done for Him in the past he could draw upon it and by faith expect Him to pull him through
Many of us have this faith: we remember what God has done for us in the past in certain situations so we trust him to do it again
1. Pay bills
2. Heal when sick
3. Find a job
* Some remember but still don’t trust
II. Stretching Faith
Believing God will do for you that you’ve seen him do for others
This is the next level of faith.
1. Its not just believe what that he can do for you what he has already done.
2. But it’s what you have seen him do for others.
3. He has never done it for you.
The Leper Mt 8:2 A man with leprosy came and knelt before him and said, "Lord, if you are willing, you can make me clean."
Centurion Mt 8:8 The centurion replied, "Lord, I do not deserve to have you come under my roof. But just say the word, and my servant will be healed.
1. You have a centurion stretching His faith and say’s I understand authority.
2. I know you have it. I’ve seen you demonstrate it.
3. All you have to do is say the word.
1. God may never have done it for you
2. But you’ve seen Him help many others
3. You hear testimonies of healings
4. You hear testimonies of people being set free from sin
5. You hear testimonies of His Grace
Tithing You hear others shouting for Joy of the blessing of tithing
6. That’s why its so important to testify
7. How are others going to come to this level of faith of they don’t hear us.
8. We as Christians should be the loudest voice of the blessings of God.
III. Strong Faith
Believing God will do for you something completely new and unknown
(Heb 11:1 NIV) Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.
That’s the essence of faith…not knowing or seeing.
Abraham (Gen 22:8 NIV) Abraham answered, "God himself will provide the lamb for the burnt offering, my son." And the two them went on together.
Jehoshaphat (2 Chr 20:12 NIV) O our God, will you not judge them? For we have no power to face this vast army that is attacking us. We do not know what to do, but our eyes are upon you."
Moab, he sons of Ammon, and the Ammunites
1. They came against the Israelites
2. They were out numbers
3. Didn’t know what could be done
4. They prayed and God did the unknown
5. They started singing and praising God
6. When they got there they had killed each other
Nebuchadnezzar, Shadrach, Meshach and Abed-nego
Wouldn’t fall down to the golden image
Dan 3:17 NIV) If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God we serve is able to save us from it, and he will rescue us from your hand, O king.
1. Many of us have strong faith.
2. Can trust God in situations that we have no idea how he can get you out
3. Some might need to develop it
Some might have
* Financial burdens
* Family problems
* Emotional issues
But it will take strong faith to pull you out
Faith that God can do the impossible
IV. Serving Faith
Believing God will do something through you...
This is the ultimate faith.
1. We should all aspire to this level of faith
2. We serve God and know that he will do something through you to help others
Apostle Paul (Rom 15:18) I will not venture to speak of anything except what Christ has accomplished through me in leading the Gentiles to obey God by what I have said and done--
1. He by faith went out preaching the word of God
2. He had to believe that God was going to do the work
3. He was faces impossible odds
a. The Jews were against him
i. Persecuting Christians
ii. He was the leader
b. The Christians were against him
i. Persecuting Christians
ii. They feared Him
c. He was preaching to gentiles
d. He always saw them as dogs
e. Lower under class
f. But he has Serving faith
4. We need serving faith
5. If we are ever going to achieve Gods will in our lives this is the faith we need
CONCLUSION: How do I move up in my level of faith??
Rom 10:17 consequently, faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word of Christ.
Basically saying you can’t believe what you haven’t heard. So you must hear it.
He is all powerful
John 1:3 (NASB)
3All things came into being through Him, and apart from Him nothing came into being that has come into being
1. God who was from the beginning created everything.
2. Jesus is God
3. He is all powerful
a. All things were created by Him
b. Nothing was created without Him
We are His children
John 1:12-13 (NASB)
12 But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God,
1. To those who have received him
2. Born of God
We received Grace upon grace
John 1:16 (NASB)
16 For of His fullness we have all received, and grace upon grace.
1. For of His fullness we have received
a. God is holding nothing back
b. Grace upon Grace
Philippians 4:13 (NASB)
13 I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.