PowerPoint & video zip files Available
+ New Slide
> Transition In
- No matter where you live -- East Coast, West Coast, Hong Kong, China, or Ding Dong, Texas,-- when it’s 12:01 am in your time zone, the final Harry Potter book can become yours
- Streets were awash with grinning witches and wizards, as diehard Harry Potter fans finally got their hands on the final installment
- One man even risked his life for Potter. In Canberra, Australia, a 21-year-old man jumped into the frigid waters of Lake Burley Griffin on Friday afternoon to retrieve a pre-order voucher he had dropped. Paramedics found the man shivering and distressed — and without the voucher
MANHATTAN’S UNION SQUARE
- Anna Todd and Kelsey Barry, both 20, jumped up and down, screaming and hugging as they touched their Harry Potter books and smelled them as if handling a newborn baby, "It smells like fresh parchment," said Barry. "It smells like magic."
- Hundreds of Potter-loving families packed a downtown street that was closed off for the release
- 7 books
- the total number of Potter books in print in the United States to 133.5 million.
- The books are praised for generating a love of reading in a younger generation which appeared to prefer the TV or video games
- First published in 1997 (same year Princess Diana died
- If you were 14 when the first book came out now you would be 23
- Last “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows “
- Worldwide advance sales have topped 2.2 million, according to Amazon
Day before they were to go on sale one copy is being offered for $250 US on eBay
First book ran 250 pages
The last book runs 608 pages
- Forecasted to become the fastest selling title in history
- WH Smith said it sold 15 copies of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows every second Saturday morning
- Americans spent nearly $170 million for the book in one day. That far surpasses the $77 million the latest Potter movie, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, grossed this month in its first six days.
- Baltimore Sun Reviewer read it in 18 hrs
- 200 Nations have readers
- all six books have been No. 1 bestsellers in the US Britain and around the world
- The six books published so far have sold 325 million copies worldwide, and have been translated into 64 languages
- Over half of all children between ages 6-17 have at least one Harry Potter book
“Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows “ went on sale at Sat July 21/07 – 12:01
- The largest first printing of any book in US publishing history
- Sold 8.3 million books the first 24 hours
- (20 football field size warehouse)
- List $35.00 Amazon.com $18.00
- For US Twelve million copies have been printed
- trucks carrying books from warehouses to shops will be fitted with satellite tracking systems to ensure they stick to assigned routes, while pallets of books have been fitted with alarms in an operation estimated to cost US$20 million
- Somebody with enough time on their hands to photograph every page of a mysteriously obtained copy of "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" and post it all on the Internet days before the books release
- Has financial backing of Warner Brothers, Mattel, Coca Cola, and Scholastic, Inc. (the largest publisher of children’s books in the world)
> "Order of the Phoenix" Movie Number 5 released 7/11/07
+ View video trailer
> The last Potter film grossed $892 million worldwide
> The first four films have grossed $4 billion
> According to The Wall Street Journal this movie could easily take in more than $1 billion this year.
- The first three movies were rated PG, but this one is PG-13, with some bad language and—instead of the cartoon-like scares of the first movies—some serious horror.
> Video Trailer
> Highest revenue opening for a movie $77.4 million
> Has earned more than $150 million in fewer than 10 days
> Warner Bros. already is working on movies No. 6 and No. 7.
- Fans donned robes, wielded wands, and put on wire-rimmed novelty glasses to see “Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix”
- Britain is issuing seven 1st-class stamps
- USA since June 2002.$18.8 million cookies, candy, gum
- Bookmarks ($3.49)
- Harry Potter action figures ($12.99)
- Harry Potter’s wand ($29.50)
- The Sorting Hat ($39.99).
- Media driven
- Sinister undercut fostering New Age thinking
- Kids are desensitized to the dangers of the occult spirit world.
- Making evil look innocent
-Books focuses on the plights of Harry Potter
> At age 10 Harry attends the prestigious 1000-year-old Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Each book chronicles one year in Harry’s life, which is mostly spent at Hogwarts, where he learns to use magic and brew potions. Harry also learns to overcome magical, social, and emotional obstacles as he struggles through his adolescence
- In Order of the Phoenix Harry must contend with changes at his school all while trying to get everyone to believe in and prepare for the return of a dangerous entity
- Joanne Rowling has no middle name added “K” to beef up her resume and a fear that young boys might not by books from a women
- Now 41
- Started as an unemployed single mother
- Now highest earning novelist in literary history (the world’s first billionaire author)
- She has 3 houses and more money than the Queen
- Rowling, a graduate of Exeter University in England
- Very familiar with occultic practices, using elements and philosophies behind "pagan religions, celtic religions, the religions of the druids, witchcraft, and satanism."
- Claims she is a member of the Church of Scotland congregation
- When asked whether she is Christian, author J.K. Rowling states:
“Yes, I am, which seems to offend the religious right far worse than if I said I thought there was no God. Every time I’ve been asked if I believe in God, I’ve said yes, because I do, but no one ever really has gone any more deeply into it than that, and I have to say that does suit me, because if I talk too freely about that [her Christianity] I think the intelligent reader, whether 10 or 60, will be able to guess what’s coming in the books.”(1)
Rowling’s Major Themes
- In the series is the theme of death. She says
“ My books are largely about death. They open with the death of Harry’s parents. There is Voldemort’s obsession with conquering death and his quest for immortality at any price, the goal of anyone with magic. I so understand why Voldemort wants to conquer death. We’re all frightened of it.
- The books present a clear picture of the epic battle between good and evil
- They also support the use of magic and have had a controversial impact on our culture
Do children and young people have the ability to separate the real from the imaginary?
+ A Look At Harry Potter
> Harry Potter "Potter" is a Pagan witch, "the female goddess of Babylon who is considered the potter who created the human being from clay.
- God, was unable to give birth, is essentially believed to have tried to mimick the Potter.
> Rev 18:23 ... Your (Babylon) merchants were the world’s great men. By your magic spell all the nations were led astray+
> Harry Potter has a lightning bolt mark on his head and the lightning bolt was a power symbol that Hitler used
> Re 13:16-17And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads: And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.> 1 Th 5:21-22 (NIV) Test everything. Hold on to the good. Avoid every kind of evil.
+ Living the Truth
> 1Pet 3:15 But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:
16 Having a good conscience; that, whereas they speak evil of you, as of evildoers, they may be ashamed that falsely accuse your good conversation in Christ.
+ Play Video
Movie Guide Dr. Ted Baehr (Video Review)
Movieguide is a ministry dedicated to redeeming the values of the mass media according to biblical principles, by influencing entertainment industry executives and helping families make wise media choices.
Gives this movie a -4 ABHORRENT:(his lowest rating) Intentional blasphemy, evil, gross immorality, falsehood, evil worldviews, and/or destructive, horrendous worldview problems
- Very strong occult, pro-witchcraft worldview where the hero and his friends conquer evil villains through evil means
- This movie encourages children to break the rules and mocks teachers and parental figures who believe in discipline
- God’s definition of wisdom: "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom, and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding."
Romans 12:9, "Abhor what is evil. Cling to what is good."
- In the Bible, the word witchcraft also means rebellion against God.
- Rowling has gained all of world but losing her soul
- Rowling’s thinking is that you don’t need God’s help to overcome the evil within you.
- All you have to do is learn how to choose the good on your own using mere willpower.
- Secret knowledge is the way to power and success
- Understanding Pop culture we need the Armor of God
- Eph 6:10-18
- It begins and ends with the power of His Word.
- First, we "put on the belt of Truth," which holds all the other pieces -- His righteousness, peace, faith, and salvation -- in place.
- The last part, "the Sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God," is simply His truth and promises memorized, remembered and affirmed as we face each day’s challenge.