SPIRITUAL WARFARE: THE AUTHORITY OF JESUS’ NAME
Jn 14:13 And whatever you may ask in My name, that I will do, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 If you ask anything in My name, I will do it.
MAN IN RETROSPECT
1.MAN WAS CREATED FOR DOMINION - Gen 1:26, Ps 8:6
2.MAN LOST HIS DOMINION - Gen 3:1-6
3.MAN’S DOMINION RESTORED – Col 2:13-15
Man’s restored dominion is best demonstrated in the area of praying in Jesus’ name
In the Jewish mindset, a name implied three things:
1. The name is the person, that is, to praise the name of Jesus is to praise Jesus Himself. To love His name is to love Jesus Himself. If you dishonor His name, you dishonor Himself.
2. The name represents all we know of the person
Illus - Moses experience of personal encounter with God,
• Exo 34:6 The LORD then passed in front of him and called out, "I, the LORD, am a God who is full of compassion and pity, who is not easily angered and who shows great love and faithfulness. 7 I keep my promise for thousands of generations and forgive evil and sin; but I will not fail to punish children and grandchildren to the third and fourth generation for the sins of their parents."
3. The name is the person actively present
i.e. to be gathered in Jesus’ name means for Jesus to be actually present in the gathering, as in Mt 18:20
PRAYING IN JESUS’ NAME…
1. Is possible only if we are in Jesus
• Jn 15:5 I am the Vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, the same brings forth much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing.
• Jn 15:7 If you abide in Me, and My Words abide in you, you shall ask what you will, and it shall be done to you.
2. Is to conform to His ways
• Mat 20:27 And whoever desires to be chief among you, let him be your servant; 28 even as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many.
• Jn 13:1-16 – foot washing ceremony
• Jn 13:17 If you know these things, blessed are you if you do them.
3. Is to use His name as our reference
• Jn 14:13 And I will do whatever you ask for, using my name, so that the Father’s glory will be shown through the Son. 14 If you ask me for anything, using my name, I will do it.
4. Is to pray according to His will
• Mat 6:10 Your kingdom come, Your will be done, on earth as it is in Heaven.
• Lk 22:42 Father, if You are willing, remove this cup from Me. Yet not My will, but Your will be done.
5. Is to enforce in reality Jesus’ victory in Calvary
• Col 2:15 He disarmed the rulers and authorities and put them to open shame, by triumphing over them in Christ.
6. Is to acknowledge His three important roles…
• Prophet – Counselor and guide,
• Priest – Intercessor
• King – Sovereign Lord
7. Is to pray and minister in all His authority
• Mt 28:18 All authority have been given unto me in heaven and on earth.
• 19 Therefore …
o Make disciples
o Baptizing them
o Teaching them
o And lo I Am with you unto the end…