Redemption is one of the central themes of Scripture and specifically of Ephesians.
What does Redemption mean? There are six terms taken from the New Testament in relation to salvation.
Dikaios: refers to a legal acquittal of a charge.
Aphiemi: basically means to send away, a cancellation of a debt.
Huiothesia: refers to the legal process of adopting a child.
Katallapps: means to legally reconcile two families.
Agorazo and Exagorazo: refer to buying or purchasing.
Lutros: means a release from captivity.
Colossians 1:13-14 says, “He has delivered us from the power of darkness and conveyed us into the kingdom of the Son of His love, in whom we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins.” (NKJV)
Ephesians 1:7-10 describes Five Elements of Redemption.
1. The Redeemer: vs.6a-7a “He freely bestowed on us in the Beloved. In Him we have redemption through His Blood.”
Jesus Christ is our Redeemer from sin.
Our Kinsman-redeemer has three qualifications:
• Had to be related to the one needing redemption.
• Had to be able to pay the price.
• And willing to pay the price.
Every Christian is God’s beloved child because the Lord Jesus Christ has become our Redeemer.
2. The Redeemed: vs.1 “the saints… who are faithful in Christ Jesus.”
Titus 2:13c-14 “Jesus Christ, who gave himself for us to redeem us from all wickedness and to purify for himself a people that are his very own, eager to do what is good.” (NIV)
3. The Redemption Price: vs.7a “In Him we have redemption through His Blood.”
4. The Redemptive Results: vs.7b-9a “the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of His grace, which He lavished upon us. In all wisdom and insight He made known to us the mystery of His will.”
Paul focuses on two specific aspects of the Redemptive Results:
Forgiveness: Aphiemi basically means to send away.
Psalms 103:12 “As far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us.” (NIV)
1 John 1:9 “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.” (NIV)
Wisdom and Insight: Sofia & Fronhsis basically means understanding of ultimate things and understanding of practical things.
1 Corinthians 2:6-7,12,16
5. The Redemptive Reason: vs.9b-10 “According to His kind intention which He purposed in Him with a view to an administration suitable to the fullness of the times, that is, the summing up of all things in Christ, things of heavens and things upon the earth.”
God redeems men in order that He might gather everything to Himself.