Intro: In my sermon today, I want to give a challenge to Moms and the rest that are here on this Mother’s Day. A mother is not merely one who gives birth to a child, but a lady that is willing to take responsibility for a life.
Mary was a Godly young lady, so Godly that God chose her to bare His Son.
Our Savior was birthed and reared by a Godly woman, she was not perfect, but she was Godly. Before Jesus was ever born, there were traits in her life that I believe will be in the life of every Godly mother. The world in which she lived was full of perversion, a wicked government and an insufficient religion - But Mary was a Godly mother in a Wicked world. How?
I. She had a Personal Relationship with God - vs. 26-34
A. Mary’s Conversion
1. She had experienced grace -vs. 28 Highly favoured - compassed wih grace!
2. She had experienced God - the Lord is with thee. She was Spiritually Pure.
vs. 28 "And the angel came in unto her, and said, Hail, thou that art highly favoured, the Lord is with thee: blessed art thou among women. 30 And the angel said unto her, Fear not, Mary: for thou hast found favour with God."
B. Mary’s Character
1. She was Morally Pure - We need more of this today! Never been with a man, not immoral, but keeping herself for her husband. vs. 27 "To a virgin espoused to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David; and the virgin’s name was Mary."
2. She was Mentally Pure - Innocence vs. 29 "And when she saw him, she was troubled at his saying, and cast in her mind what manner of salutation this should be."
C. Mary’s Confession - vs. 46-48
1. She Confessed A Needed Savior. vs. 46 "And Mary said, My soul doth magnify the Lord, 47 And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour."
2. She Confessed she was a Needy Sinner. vs. 48 "For he hath regarded the low estate of his handmaiden: for, behold, from henceforth all generations shall call me blessed."
II. She had a Proper Respect for Others - Luke 1-2
A. She Welcomed the Attention of the Shepherds - Pondered it
They came to worship Jesus, and she welcomed it.
B. She Worshiped with the Attenders of the Synagogue (Simian and Anna)
1. Simeon held the baby.
2. He prophesied to Mary.
3. Anna gave thanks to the Lord.
And Mary is notably compliant with it all! She had respect for her family
C. She Willingly Followed Her Husband - Luke 2:13-14 (Angel appeared to Joseph)
1. She took him at his word (men, you have to earn that).
2. She trusted him in his way -EGYPT? You know they do not like the Jews!
D. She Wisely directed Her Child
1. Imagine Her Thrill of being a Parent - After Simeon’s prophecy:
Luke 2:33 "And Joseph and his mother marvelled at those things which were spoken of him."
They knew what the angel and Elisabeth had said, it is not that they did not know he was a special child, but now an even greater prophecy. (Marveled - to be astonished and pleased at what they heard)
2. The Training as a Parent
Luke 2:51 "And he went down with them, and came to Nazareth, and was subject unto them: but his mother kept all these sayings in her heart. 52 And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favour with God and man."
III. She had a Perfect Readiness toward God - 1:38
A. Her Submission - Behold - “here I am” Available to God.
B. Her Surrender - Be it unto me - Totally yielded to God.
1. I do not understand it, but Let God Be God!
2. I do not deserve this, but Let God be God! - vs. 47-48
IV. She had a Proven Record before God
A. Her Courage - John 1:25 "Now there stood by the cross of Jesus his mother, and his mother’s sister, Mary the wife of Cleophas, and Mary Magdalene."
1. The Tenderness
She showed her affection to Christ by being at the cross, and her constancy in abiding by him to the last; though it must have been be a gruesome sight
2. The Tenacity - She was there! Being a mother is never easy, and it definitely was not for Mary. She herself was exposed to danger, and could have been abused by the outrageous multitude. A MOTHER WILL FACE TRIALS, BUT MUST BE FAITHFUL.
B. Her Comfort - Can you imagine the Spirit of Mary as John ran home and told her of the Resurrection!
C. Her Continuing - Acts 1:14 "These all continued with one accord in prayer and supplication, with the women, and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with his brethren."
Concl. What better example to mothers, than the Faithfulness of the earthly mother of the Savior. Personal Relationship with God, Proper Respect, Perfect Readiness, and a Proven Record is how you mom can be a Godly Mother in a Wicked World!