-Illustration “Benjamin Franklin’s Epitaph”
- Of the four gospels they each have their own perspective on the account we have read here
- Matthew deals with the peculiar insistence on the great Galilean appearance of the Risen Savior
- St. John, as his central or most detailed piece of teaching, dwells on a fishing scene on Gennesaret, the actors being the well-known inner circle of the apostles.
- Luke confines himself exclusively to the appearance, in Judaea. a high-road in a Jerusalem suburb; and four actors, two devoted, but historically unknown, disciples.
- John chooses for his Resurrection instruction scenes which had for their theatre both Galilee and Judaea.
- Php 3:10 that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death,
- Rom_1:4 and was declared to be the Son of God in power according to the Spirit of holiness by his resurrection from the dead, Jesus Christ our Lord,
I. The Resurrection gives power to the gospel
- Illustration “Car Problem”
Rom_1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.
- The disconnect between the reality of Resurrection and our minds and hearts
- I know this because we are not living like we know this.
- The resurrection is like electricity supplying power to other things that need power to run
- And where did the power from the resurrection come from?
- Rom_1:20 For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse.
II. The Resurrection gives power to hope
- Illustration.” No Resurrection—No Hope”
- Romans 15:13 May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope.
- What takes our power and our hope?
- Our failures
- (John 21:1-3)
III. The Resurrection gives power to us
- 2Ti_1:7 for God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control
- Eph_3:20 Now to him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power at work within us,
- Rom_5:5 and hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us.
- Illustration “Funeral of Brezhnev”