There are many things that remind us of Easter.
There are flowers, chocolate Easter bunnies, and pretty Easter baskets.
But one thing that all of us think of when we think of Easter is Easter eggs.
Have you ever wondered why we use the egg to represent Easter?
You won’t discover this in a grocery store egg carton but on the farm, an egg means new life.
When a mother hen sits on her eggs for a few weeks, the eggs crack open and little baby chicks emerge. There is new life inside those eggs.
We celebrate Easter Sunday because that is the day that Jesus rose from the grave. He was no longer dead but alive.
This morning I have brought what I call a real Easter egg. It hasn’t been boiled or dyed.
[Remove the egg from carton] I wonder what would happen if I were to drop this egg?
Toss the egg to someone. OH did I mention that my Easter egg is empty…
SO IS THE TOMB OF JESUS.
Hal Boykin sings
Because of the empty tomb, life CAN begin again.
1. New life can begin for those who have lost hope.
[1Th 4:13-18 NKJV] “13 But I do not want you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning those who have fallen asleep, lest you sorrow as others who have no hope. 14 For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so God will bring with Him those who sleep in Jesus. 15 For this we say to you by the word of the Lord, that we who are alive [and] remain until the coming of the Lord will by no means precede those who are asleep.
16 For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of an archangel, and with the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first. 17 Then we who are alive [and] remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And thus we shall always be with the Lord. 18 Therefore comfort one another with these words.”
2. New life can begin for those who are tired, broken and weary.
[Exo 33:14 NKJV] “And He said, "My Presence will go [with you], and I will give you rest.’”
[Mat 11:28 NKJV] “Come to Me, all [you] who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.”
3. New life can begin, even for those who have stopped believing.
[John 20:25-28 NKJV] “25 The other disciples therefore said to him, "We have seen the Lord." So he said to them, "Unless I see in His hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and put my hand into His side, I will not believe." 26 And after eight days His disciples were again inside, and Thomas with them. Jesus came, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, "Peace to you!" 27 Then He said to Thomas, "Reach your finger here, and look at My hands; and reach your hand [here], and put [it] into My side. Do not be unbelieving, but believing." 28 And Thomas answered and said to Him, "My Lord and my God!’”
Because of the empty tomb, you too can experience new life…
Hal Boykin sings
START COMMUNIOIN HERE
1. No matter where you’ve been…[Luke 7:37-39 NKJV] “37 And behold, a woman in the city who was a sinner, when she knew that [Jesus] sat at the table in the Pharisee's house, brought an alabaster flask of fragrant oil, 38 and stood at His feet behind [Him] weeping; and she began to wash His feet with her tears, and wiped [them] with the hair of her head; and she kissed His feet and anointed [them] with the fragrant oil. 39 Now when the Pharisee who had invited Him saw [this], he spoke to himself, saying, "This Man, if He were a prophet, would know who and what manner of woman [this is] who is touching Him, for she is a sinner.’” God is not as concerned about where you’ve been as He is where you’re going.
2. No matter what you’ve done… Think about the thief on the right side of Jesus. [Luke 23:33, 42-43 NKJV] “33 And when they had come to the place called Calvary, there they crucified Him, and the criminals, one on the right hand and the other on the left. ... 42 Then he said to Jesus, "Lord, remember me when You come into Your kingdom." 43 And Jesus said to him, "Assuredly, I say to you, today you will be with Me in Paradise.’” It’s not about what you’ve done but what Jesus did.
3. No matter who you are… [Rom 3:22-24 NIV] “22 This righteousness is given through faith in Jesus Christ to ALL who believe. There is no difference between Jew and Gentile, 23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, 24 and all are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus.”
We may pick and choose those we will share Jesus with but the Bible says that God loved the world so much that He gave His one and only Son to die on the cross and be raised from the grave so that you might live.
Share the Lord’s Supper elements