The Book Of Life
1. If you ever go into a store like Barnes and Noble, one thing cannot escape your attention: There are a lot of books!
2. There are so many different types of books and writers of them.
a. People write about topics such as politics and philosophy, as well as volumes of “how-to” books and “self-help” books.
b. You can pretty much find a book about any topic or any subject matter.
3. There is one book, however, that you will not find at any bookstore.
a. Not because its out of print or not a best-seller but because its owner has the only copy.
b. I’m talking about the book of life.
4. There’s not another place more important to have our name placed than in the book of life. It is the difference between heaven and hell.
5. I would like for us to make some observations today about this very important book.
I. Men Do Not Control whose Name Is In The Book Of Life.
A. How fortunate we are that this is true!
1. If they did, some people might not want us there.
B. Consider Psalm 69:4-5, 13, 27-28.
1. David first describes his condition (hated without a cause, vs. 4)
2. He then represents himself as suffering for God (vss. 7-13)
3. He prays for deliverance from these troubles (vss. 14-18)
4. And then for his enemies to be destroyed (vss. 22-28)
a. Consider specifically verses 27-28, “Add iniquity to their iniquity, And may they not come into Your righteousness. May they be blotted out of the book of life And may they not be recorded with the righteous.”
b. God was the one to determine who was in the book of life and who was not. David was not the one who controlled this.
C. Exodus 32: This chapter has to do with the rebellion of the children of Israel. Aaron made the golden calf. The Lord desired to destroy the people but Moses makes entreaty for the people.
1. Exodus 32:31-33, “Then Moses returned to the LORD, and said, "Alas, this people has committed a great sin, and they have made a god of gold for themselves. 32But now, if Thou wilt, forgive their sin-- and if not, please blot me out from Thy book which Thou hast written!" 33And the LORD said to Moses, "Whoever has sinned against Me, I will blot him out of My book.”
a. Moses wanted to have his name removed from the book of life, as payment for God not destroying the Israelites.
b. Remember the words of God, however, “whoever has sinned against Me, I will blot him out of My book.”
c. Moses could not determine whose name stayed and whose name didn’t. Only God can control this!
II. No One Stumble Onto Its Pages By Accident.
A. If your name is written in the book of life, its because you took God’s Word to heart and decided to live according to it.
B. Philippians 4:2-3, “I urge Euodia and I urge Syntyche to live in harmony in the Lord. Indeed, true comrade, I ask you also to help these women who have shared my struggle in the cause of the gospel, together with Clement also, and the rest of my fellow workers, whose names are in the book of life.”
1. These names were not in the book of life on accident. There was a reason.
a. They shared in Paul’s struggle for the cause of Christ
b. They were workers.
C. It is something we must strive for.
1. Revelation 21:25-27, “And in the daytime (for there shall be no night there) its gates shall never be closed; and they shall bring the glory and the honor of the nations into it; and nothing unclean and no one who practices abomination and lying, shall ever come into it, but only those whose names are written in the Lamb’s book of life.”
a. Nothing unclean (unhallowed, profane), no abomination (a detestable thing), no liars (falsehood).
b. Remember Exodus 32:33 – whoever has sinned against Me, I will blot his name out of the book.
2. Only those names written in the book of life will make it to heaven.
III. If Your Name Is Recorded, It Is A Cause For Rejoicing.
A. Man loves to have his name in the spotlight.
1. Books, magazines, newspaper.
B. What is greater than having your name in the book of life?
1. Philippians 4:3-4, “Indeed, true comrade, I ask you also to help these women who have shared my struggle in the cause of the gospel, together with Clement also, and the rest of my fellow workers, whose names are in the book of life. Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice!”
C. Luke 10: Limited Commission – 70 sent out. The disciples rejoiced that they were able to perform miracles, heal the sick, cast out demons, and even raise the dead!
1. Luke 10:17-20, “And the seventy returned with joy, saying, "Lord, even the demons are subject to us in Your name." 18And He said to them, "I was watching Satan fall from heaven like lightning. 19"Behold, I have given you authority to tread upon serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy, and nothing shall injure you. 20"Nevertheless do not rejoice in this, that the spirits are subject to you, but rejoice that your names are recorded in heaven."
a. Forget about this other stuff; rejoice that your names are in heaven.
IV. Those Who Overcome Will Not Be Erased.
A. Remember, those who sin will be blotted out! (Ex. 32:33).
B. Letter to church at Sardis: Read Revelation 3:1-5. “He who overcomes shall thus be clothed in white garments; and I will not erase his name from the book of life, and I will confess his name before My Father, and before His angels.”
1. Verse 3, good advice to those in sin: Remember what you have heard, keep it, & repent.
2. If we overcome our sins, we have the assurance of heaven.
C. If we do not overcome, we will have to answer to God.
1. Revelation 3:3b, “If therefore you will not wake up, I will come like a thief, and you will not know at what hour I will come upon you.”
2. Revelation 22:18-19, “For I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds to these things, God will add to him the plagues that are written in this book; 19and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part from the Book of Life, from the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.”
a. We must not add or subtract from the Word. If we do, we risk having our names removed.
1. Is your name recorded in the book of life? Nothing is more urgent than to make for certain it is there.
2. Was your name there at one time but maybe it was removed? What better opportunity than right now to get your life right and have your name added once again.
3. II Cor. 6:2, “Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation.”