The Characteristics of our God HHM May 19, 2002
A. The Essence and Substance of God: Who is this God we serve?
How do I get to know him better?
Thru – Personal Relationship
When we want to learn about someone what do we do???
We ask about them, we do some research; we can even have them followed.
These things can sometimes work BUT to really know someone you must spend time with them. / One on One time with him Get personal to the point they know you also.
Let us today seek out who our God is. Let us build a better relationship with Him
1. Four things involved in God’s spirituality:
(John 4:24) 24 God is Spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth."
A. He is immaterial / Does not need the material things of this world
B. He is invisible / Even though we can’t see him we still see Him in each other
C. He is alive / You can feel the presence of God here today
D. He is a person / I can speak to Him One on One
2. God is Self Existent (Exodus 3:14) And God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM." And He said, "Thus you shall say to the children of Israel, ’I AM has sent me to you.’ "
3. The Immensity of God (1 Kings 8:27) But will God indeed dwell on the earth? Behold, heaven and the heaven of heavens cannot contain You. How much less this temple which I have built!
4. God is Eternal (Genesis 21:33) Then Abraham planted a tamarisk tree in Beersheba, and there called on the name of the Lord, the Everlasting God.
5. God is One (Deuteronomy 6:4) Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one!
6. God is Transcendent (Isaiah 55:8-9 & 57:15)
55:8 "For My thoughts are not your thoughts, Nor are your ways My ways," says the Lord.
55:9 "For as the heavens are higher than the earth, So are My ways higher than your ways, And My thoughts than your thoughts
7. God is Immanent Existing or remaining within; inherent: believed in a God immanent in humans.(Hebrews 1:2,3 & Colossians 1:16-17)
Heb 1:2,3 has in these last days spoken to us by His Son, whom He has appointed heir of all things, through whom also He made the worlds; 3 who being the brightness of His glory and the express image of His person, and upholding all things by the word of His power, when He had by Himself purged our sins, sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high,
B. Non-Moral Attributes of God:
1. Omnipresence of God (Psalms 139:7-8 & Jeremiah 23:24) 7 Where can I go from Your Spirit? Or where can I flee from Your presence? 8 If I ascend into heaven, You are there; If I make my bed in hell, behold, You are there
2. Omniscience of God (Proverbs 15:3) The eyes of the Lord are in every place, Keeping watch on the evil and the good.
A. 2Man’s works (Psalms 33:13-15) 13 The Lord looks from heaven; He sees all the sons of men. 14 From the place of His dwelling He looks On all the inhabitants of the earth; 15 He fashions their hearts individually; He considers all their works.
2B. Man’s thoughts and motives (Psalms 139:1-4) 1 For the Chief Musician. A Psalm of David. O Lord, You have searched me and known me. 2 You know my sitting down and my rising up; You understand my thought afar off. 3 You comprehend my path and my lying down, And are acquainted with all my ways. 4 For there is not a word on my tongue, But behold, O Lord, You know it altogether.
2C. Man’s wants (Matthew 6:8, 32-3) 6:8 Therefore do not be like them. For your Father knows the things you have need of before you ask Him.
3. Omnipotence of God (Revelation 19:6) And I heard, as it were, the voice of a great multitude, as the sound of many waters and as the sound of mighty thunderings, saying, "Alleluia! For the Lord God Omnipotent reigns!
A. Five times the word says God can do anything or nothing is impossible with Him:
3a1. Genesis 18:14 Is anything too hard for the Lord? At the appointed time I will return to you, according to the time of life, and Sarah shall have a son."
3a2. Job 42:2 "I know that You can do everything, And that no purpose of Yours can be withheld from You.
3a3. Jeremiah 32:17 ’Ah, Lord God! Behold, You have made the heavens and the earth by Your great power and outstretched arm. There is nothing too hard for You.
3a4. Matthew 19:26 But Jesus looked at them and said to them, "With men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
3a5. Luke 1:37. For with God nothing will be impossible."
B. Five things God cannot do: (that which is contrary to His will and nature)
3b1. Look on iniquity (Habakkuk 1:13) You are of purer eyes than to behold evil, And cannot look on wickedness. Why do You look on those who deal treacherously, And hold Your tongue when the wicked devours A person more righteous than he?
3b2. Deny Himself (2 Timothy 2:13) If we are faithless, He remains faithful; He cannot deny Himself.
3b3. Lie (Hebrews 6:18) that by two immutable things, in which it is impossible for God to lie, we might have strong consolation, who have fled for refuge to lay hold of the hope set before us.
3b4. Tempt to sin (James 1:13) Let no one say when he is tempted, "I am tempted by God"; for God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does He Himself tempt anyone.
3b5. That which is absurd or self contradictory.
4. Immutability of God (Malachi 3:6) For I am the Lord, I do not change; Therefore you are not consumed, O sons of Jacob.
5. Omni sapience of God (Sa•pi•ence) having or showing great wisdom or sound judgment. (1 Timothy 1:17; Romans 11:33; 16:27) 1 tim 1:17 Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, to God who alone is wise, be honor and glory forever and ever. Amen.
6. Sovereignty of God (Daniel 4:35) All the inhabitants of the earth are reputed as nothing; He does according to His will in the army of heaven And among the inhabitants of the earth. No one can restrain His hand Or say to Him, "What have You done?"
Moral Attributes of God.
1. Holiness of God (Exodus 3:3-5; Joshua 5:13-15; Isiah 6:1-6; 1 John 1:5) Exodus 3:3-5 3 Then Moses said, "I will now turn aside and see this great sight, why the bush does not burn." 4 So when the Lord saw that he turned aside to look, God called to him from the midst of the bush and said, "Moses, Moses!" And he said, "Here I am." 5 Then He said, "Do not draw near this place. Take your sandals off your feet, for the place where you stand is holy ground."
2. Righteousness and justice of God (Genesis 18:25) Far be it from You to do such a thing as this, to slay the righteous with the wicked, so that the righteous should be as the wicked; far be it from You! Shall not the Judge of all the earth do right?"
3. The goodness of God (James 1:17 & Matthew 5:45) James 1:17 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow of turning.
4. The love of God (1 John 4:8 & 16) 1 John 4:8 He who does not love does not know God, for God is love
5. The mercy of God (Psalm 86:15) But You, O Lord, are a God full of compassion, and gracious, Longsuffering and abundant in mercy and truth.
6. The grace of God (John 1:16) And of His fullness we have all received, and grace for grace.
7. The faithfulness of God (2 Timothy 2:13 ) If we are faithless, He remains faithful; He cannot deny Himself.
Lamentations 3:22-3 22 Through the Lord’s mercies we are not consumed, Because His compassions fail not. 23 They are new every morning; Great is Your faithfulness.