THE PERFECT STORM
Matt.14:22-27 Rev. R.B.Hughes
Indebted to John Maxwell
Matt 14:24 “… the boat was now in the middle of the sea, tossed by the waves, for the wind was contrary. …… And they cried out for fear.”
I love storms! I always have. Even as a child …
- I love the wind … the rain … the hail (the bigger the better)
- I love the roar of the thunder and the crack and flash of the lightening. (esp.night)
- I love the crashing waves …. Those you can hear like thunder … raging rivers.
Then again …. I have never been in a tornado .. Trapped in a full force hurricane … trapped in a raging river … never pounded by hail the size of softballs …
The power and effects of a storm is more welcome then the lessons of a storm. The costs of a storm … the devastation a storm can leave.
The Bible is full of storms …
- Noah ….. Elijah outrunning Ahab when the cloud the size of a man’s hand ..
- Jonah … Parable of house on the sand … Paul shipwrecked .. Disciples and storm
A couple weeks ago before the Dave Montgomery funeral … no perfect storm ..
- A perfect storm is any storm in which there is a true revelation of Jesus.
I WANT TO EXPAND UPON THAT TODAY …. LETS PRAY … MATT.14:22-27
ILL/ Story of man building a house …
- Ever thought that enough is enough?
I’m sure Job felt that way … still one of the most devastating records of immediate personal lost ….
13Now there was a day when his sons and daughters were eating and drinking wine in their oldest brother’s house; 14and a messenger came to Job and said, “The oxen were plowing and the donkeys feeding beside them, 15“when the Sabeans raided them and took them away—indeed they have killed the servants with the edge of the sword; and I alone have escaped to tell you!” 16While he was still speaking, another also came and said, “The fire of God fell from heaven and burned up the sheep and the servants, and consumed them; and I alone have escaped to tell you!” 17While he was still speaking, another also came and said, “The Chaldeans formed three bands, raided the camels and took them away, yes, and killed the servants with the edge of the sword; and I alone have escaped to tell you!” 18While he was still speaking, another also came and said, “Your sons and daughters were eating and drinking wine in their oldest brother’s house, 19“and suddenly a great wind came from across the wilderness and struck the four corners of the house, and it fell on the young people, and they are dead; and I alone have escaped to tell you!”
20Then Job arose, tore his robe, and shaved his head; and he fell to the ground and worshiped. 21And he said: “Naked I came from my mother’s womb, And naked shall I return there. The LORD gave, and the LORD has taken away; Blessed be the name of the LORD.
The lightening has struck … the thunder has sent fear … the STORM HAS COME.
Jobs situation gives intriguing insight behind the storm … which we have but Job didn’t at the time.
ARE YOU IN A LIFE STORM?
- Loss? Direction? Forsaken? Confused? Bills? Purpose? Friends? Enemies?
Lets learn a little about our storms …
II. THE THING ABOUT STORMS
1. EVERYONE has them. Matt.5:45
- We all know what it is like.
- Maybe for you the clouds are gathering … or dispersing .. maybe in MIDDLE of it right now.
Matt.5:45 “that you may be sons of your Father in heaven; for He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust.
- Believers or Unbelievers … Storms are no respecters of persons.
Matt. 7:24-27 … House on sand or rock .. THE STORM CAME TO EACH.
Everyone has them ….
A) Some storms are a result of being OUT OF Gods will.
- Jonah deliberately disobeyed God … storm came.
- Acts 5. Ananias & Sapphira disobeyed … lied about their giving.
- Scripture is full of examples .. Cain, Lots wife, Nebby, Judas ..
You can walk directly into a storm by willfully and willingly walking against Gods word and will for your life.
BUT this is not always the case …. Remember the storms enter the life of the “good” as well. … As a matter of fact ….
B) Some storms are a result of being IN Gods will. Matt.14:22
Matthew 14:22 Immediately Jesus made His disciples get into the boat and go before Him to the other side, while He sent the multitudes away.
Jesus made .. constrained … The Greek is a very strong term:
- anagkazo: To necessitate, compel, drive to, constrain by force, threats, etc.
Verse 24: But the boat was now in the middle of the sea, tossed by the waves, for the wind was contrary.
- Why the problem? The wind was DIRECTLY AGAINST THEM!!
- Opposed as an adversary, hostile, antagonistic
To obey Jesus meant sailing directly into an adverse, hostile, antagonistic environment.
- TO TOP IT OFF … HE WASN’T THERE!!!!! THEY WERE ALONE!!!
God told the devil Job was blameless!!! (Job 1)
- Lord if you ever think I am doing well .. DON’T TELL THE DEVIL!!!
Paul the apostle 2 Corth.11:22-28
2Are they Hebrews? So am I. Are they Israelites? So am I. Are they the seed of Abraham? So am I. 23Are they ministers of Christ?—I speak as a fool—I am more: in labors more abundant, in stripes above measure, in prisons more frequently, in deaths often. 24From the Jews five times I received forty stripes minus one. 25Three times I was beaten with rods; once I was stoned; three times I was shipwrecked; a night and a day I have been in the deep; 26in journeys often, in perils of waters, in perils of robbers, in perils of my own countrymen, in perils of the Gentiles, in perils in the city, in perils in the wilderness, in perils in the sea, in perils among false brethren; 27in weariness and toil, in sleeplessness often, in hunger and thirst, in fastings often, in cold and nakedness— 28besides the other things, what comes upon me daily: my deep concern for all the churches.
“BESIDES THE OTHER THINGS ….!!??”
Reminds me that we can never judge a persons spirituality by their outward blessings or storms.
GREAT! Just when you thought there was a safe place. BUT THESE ARE PERFECT STORMS!
QUICKLY >>>>!!!! I hope
III. THREE THINGS ABOUT PERFECT STORMS
* John Maxwell
1. Jesus will PRAY for you. V.22,23 ; Heb.4:14-16
While they are in the storm Jesus is praying.
In the perfect storm Jesus prays for you ….. ALSO ..
2. Jesus will COME to you. V.25. Mal.3
Matt.14:25 Now in the fourth watch of the night Jesus went to them, walking on the sea.
In the perfect Storm Jesus comes to us ….
a) He comes JUST IN TIME.
Genesis 1:1-3 1In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. 2The earth was without form, and void; and darkness was on the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters. 3Then God said, “Let there be light”; and there was light. 4And God saw the light, that it was good;
We read this and think that the timing word is found in verse 1 … (It is one) BUT the one that helps us in the area of surrender is found in verse 3. THEN!
- In the storm of formless and void we look for a clue to Gods arrival.
- Many times it is not to be found!
BUT remember He is the silver smith … He waits for the right moment …
Many times ….
b) He comes at the DARKEST hour.
Matt.14:25 Now in the fourth watch of the night Jesus went to them,…
These are seasoned fisherman … they know the sea SCARED!
c) He comes VICTORIOUS over our greatest fear.
Matt.14:25 “… Jesus went to them, walking on the sea.”
Their greatest fear? Being swallowed up and drowning in the raging sea!!
- The very thing they feared He reveals Himself victorious over!!
- They are bailing water as fast as they can …. Then Jesus is revealed!
Eph 3:20 “He is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think ..”
In the perfect storm not only will He PRAY for you and not only will He COME to you but …
3. Jesus will MINISTER to you. V.26,27
Matt.14:26,27 And when the disciples saw Him walking on the sea, they were troubled, saying, “It is a ghost!” And they cried out for fear. 27But immediately Jesus spoke to them, saying, “Be of good cheer! It is I; do not be afraid.”
- He ministers in spite of our misunderstanding.
- Ghost? How close did they think they were to death??
- People will believe in ghosts before they would believe in God.
I meet Christians all the time that think they have to understand everything.
· There are things in this life you and I will never understand.
· Paul said we look through a dark glass … smoke glass window.
WE KNOW THAT JESUS IS ON THE THRONE.
WE KNOW THAT JESUS IS IN CONTROL.
WE KNOW THAT JESUS IS VICTORIOUS OVER EVERY SITUATION.
Our security is not in knowing all the ins and outs of the storm but our security is in God.
Job: “God gave and God took away blessed be the name of the Lord.”
Job Do you like the family deaths? NO
Do you like the Ash heap? No. The boils? No. The wife? No comment. The friends? No.
Job 19 I KNOW MY REDEEMER LIVES
“IT IS I”
The perfect storm reveals a praying, present and a powerful Jesus.
Obedience can lead you into a storm.
Don’t grow bitter, don’t grow weary, don’t be fearful, and don’t forget obedience.
Don’t forget what your heard in the light ... when you are in the darkness
- Supernatural invading the natural
- Then the natural responds to the supernatural ...