Sermon by: Dr. Todd Morris
Text: Colossians 3:1-4
Title: Risen With Christ
Date: August 18, 2002
Introduction: “If” is the biggest little word in the world. The “if” of our test determines heaven or hell. The “if” of our text demands that believers walk their talk. Paul tells us here that “if” we are saved there are some things that will be true of us. Here the great Apostle is giving both advice and encouragement.
Paul doesn’t assume that all who will read this letter at Colossi are saved people. While he doesn’t deal with a specific problem in the church he does include in his letter these verses that would tend to be somewhat evangelistic in nature.
Let us look at three things in this text:
I THERE ARE TWO GREAT COMMANDS (1-2)
A. Seek those things which are above.
1. Learn all you can about heaven for it is your future home.
2. Search for truth concerning your eternal home.
B. Set your affection on things above.
1. What we love tells who we are.
2. Most people love the things of this world more than the things of the next.
3. Those who are risen with Christ will love higher things.
II THERE ARE TWO GREAT CONSOLATIONS (3)
A. For ye are dead.
1. Dead to the power of sin.
2. Dead to the penalty of sin.
B. Your life is hid with Christ in God.
1. What a safe place to be.
2. Hidden safely in the arms of Christ.
3. To harm me something must be stronger than Christ.
4. What can harm me if I am hidden in Christ?
III THERE ARE TWO GREAT COMING EVENTS (4)
A. Christ shall appear.
B. We shall appear with Him in Glory.
1. Glorified bodies
2. Glorified minds
3. Eternally with Christ
Conclusion: All of these things are sureties. But whether or not they affect us is all determined by the “biggest little word in the world,” the word “IF.”
If you have received Christ your future is bright, but if not you have no hope.