How To Screw Up God’s Love
A. Do you remember what happen 9-11? I am sure you do, it is a day that we will never forget
B. Do you remember how many times God was mentioned after that event?
C. How many prayer meetings there were, the president even asked us to pray
D. In Crisis like that God is always brought to the forefront
E. In our own lives when we experience a crisis, God is brought to the forefront
F. But most of us do not live a state of constant crisis
G. During those “Normal” times we tend to put God to the side, and we become preoccupied by ourselves rather then God.
H. Our worship turns from passionate to ritualistic
I. Our prayers turn from passionate pleas and thanksgiving to a Christmas Wish list
J. That is why Malachi is here
K. Malachi creates a crisis at a time when we are unaware of crisis
L. He wakes us up to the crisis of God during the times when the only thing we are concerned with is us
M. Even though this book was written in about 430 bc, 2430 years ago, the message it contains is very applicable for us today
N. Now we have to understand how Malachi is written, it is very straight forward and honest
O. What Malachi does is basically makes a statement that the people of the land would make and then gives God’s rebuttal
P. Folks this is real stuff
Q. The real stuff might create a crisis in your life, don’t blame me it is in the Bible.
R. This morning we are going to look at three real pictures of God
a. Real Love
b. Real Worship
c. Real Problems
I. Real Love (1:1-5)
1. The people back in the time that Malachi was writing were questioning God
2. They felt that God did not love them
3. Why did they feel that way? Well maybe their loved ones unfairly died
4. Maybe they were not getting the job promotion that they deserved
5. Their crops were not as good as they would like.
6. Now would be a good time to review Jacob and Esau
a) They were twins, Esau was the older one
b) However, Jacob was able to steel the birth rite and trick his father in to giving him the blessing rather then Esau
c) The Descendants of Jacob went on to live with the blessing of God, having plenty of food shelter money and so forth
d) The descendants of Esau have had a tough time ever since, In fact they are known as “The people whom the Lord is forever angry”
7. God, through Malachi proves his love for Israel
1. So what, who care, what does that have to do with us?
2. Malachi was written 2400 years ago, yet it deals with the exact things we deal with today
3. They were feeling like God did not love them anymore
4. They were feeling like God abandoned them, did not care
5. We often feel the same way
6. We often feel like God does not care for us
7. Who hear has not eaten in a week?
8. Who hear does not have a roof over your head?
9. Who hear when you think about can honestly say God does not love them?
10. Folks, God love you. Everything might not go the way you would like it to, but that does not mean that God does not love you.
1. Growing up, parents do and say some strange things, especially when you’re in trouble. One of my favorites is the whole spanking thing. Now I will admit I will probably use the same lines, but that is not the point. The whole I am only spanking you because I love you. Come on, to show love, you hit me? Or the all famous this is going to hurt me more then it is going to hurt you. I don’t think so. You are using a paddle on my butt, it is not going to hurt you it is going to hurt me a lot more
2. But I know now, and I knew then that yes it is for my own good, yes I am better off having that discipline
3. Did I like it? NO. Did I want it? NO! Does that mean my parents do not love me? NO
4. Folks God love you, yes there will be times you don’t understand what is going on, there will be times that just don’t seem fair
5. But God has never and will never stop loving you!
6. That is Real Love
II. Real Worship (1:6-14)
1. I find it quite interesting that this book starts off with talking about God’s love, I do think that is on purpose, because the next part of the book, yikes! You will understand why it started with love
2. In this section we talk about sacrifices
3. Now if you go back and read the books about laws (study Lev. to get an idea) you will realize that there are certain expectations on sacrifices
4. These sacrifices are to be without blemishes, perfect, the best…
5. Not the reject sacrifices
6. The Lord is insulted at the sacrifices they were offering
7. They were offering God, the rejects
8. It is interesting to note that in VS. 11 tells us there is a revival going on all around the world
9. But they are not experienced it
10. Basically, by doing all of this, they are making a mockery out of God’s commands and making God quite angry
1. So who cares? This was written 2400 years ago, what does that have to do with me?
2. A LOT!
3. Look what we have done with worship
4. WE have made a mockery of it
5. True we do not have to offer sacrifices today, because of the Son
6. But what about our worship?
7. Why should God accept our worship if we are giving him blemished sacrifices
8. Folks, there is revival going on right now all over the world
9. But not here in the United States
10. Why? Read this section and honestly evaluate your worship.
11. It hurts. Doesn’t it?
1. There was a missionary in India who was out walking one day just to get some fresh air. And she saw a lady with two kids. One was perfect. And one let just say had a lot of defects. She offered the perfect one as a sacrifice
2. The Missionary questioned her about this and you want to know what she said? We give our God the Best!
3. What about you? Are you giving the God your best?
4. What are the consequences of not offering God the best?
5. Read 14.
6. Do you want that? That is scary stuff. Hey don’t blame me, it is in the Bible.
III. Real Problems (2:1-9)
1. Unfortunately we are not done yet, God is still angry, we have more problems to deal with
2. God has just told us what all we are doing wrong, now he is telling us how we better shape up, or ship out
3. Here God Through Malachi is saying that he will have no choice but to curse the people out.
4. That the way they had been treating God is unacceptable and God would not tolerate this type of behavior anymore
5. Israel had once followed God, generations have passed since the covenant with Levites, the priest
6. They were once upon a time living the way they should
7. However, over the years, they have fallen away from God
8. Now this falling was not a “Major Stumble” -- They did not go to bed on day and wake up the next morning and had completely back slid
9. This was a gradual decent, the way sin tends to ruin your life
10. Notice in Vs. 9 what is says (Read 9)
11. These priest end up with bad reputations based on their actions
1. Pastor Dan, do we really care about Levite priest living a corrupt life and God getting mad at them?
2. We should
3. WE have to realize that we are no different then they are
4. If I would have not told you that this was written 2400 years ago and would switch Israelites, and a couple other words, you probably would have thought that this was just written
5. Folks, when we start to fall into sin it does not happen overnight
6. It slow moving downhill
7. Gradually it creeps up on us and we realize we have fallen into sin
8. And worse part about it is that we do not want to do anything about it
9. That’s what the real problem is
1. Anybody here no how to cook a frog? Well frogs are interesting creatures. If you were to put a frog in boiling water he would jump out. So what you do is put the frog in regular water. Then turn on the boiler. The frog will be inside an eventually would start to think this water is a little hot, oh well. By the time the frog realizes that water is boiling, well lets just say your ready to eat your frog legs
2. That is how it is with sin
3. That is what God is telling us through Malachi to avoid, he is calling us to return to a proper relationship with Himself
4. What if we don’t? Well Read 2:3. Don’t blame me, that is what the Bible says.
A. This is not a sermon that makes you want to leave and feel good about yourself
B. This hurts
C. This hurts bad
D. But notice the first word of our points, REAL.
E. I wanted to stress that this is not something I made up
F. That this is what will happen
G. God loves us very much
H. You know and I know we do get mad at the people we love
I. God gets mad at us
J. I hate when people are mad at me.
K. Do you want God mad at you?
L. We need a total new dedication on life that allows Christ to shine everyday not just in our Crisis.
M. We need to get back to the heart of worship
N. Please listen to this song, the words will be up on the screen so you can read and listen, and think about everything we have talk about this morning
(Heart of Worship)