TOPIC: GENUINE AND SPIRIT GIVEN REVIVAL
TEXT: Habakkuk 3:2 ; Jeremiah 3:10
Habakkuk 3:2 – “O LORD, I have heard thy speech, and was afraid: O LORD, revive thy work in the midst of the years, in the midst of the years make known; in wrath remember mercy. “
Jeremiah 3:10 – “And yet for all this her treacherous sister Judah hath not turned unto me with her whole heart, but feignedly, saith the LORD.”
Why is there is still a need for Revival today – when the church had a revival service before?
Why there is a need for a Revival in the midst of the years?
The following are the possible reasons for this problem . . .
1. Because of Human Imperfections
Though the Christian was made partaker of the Divine nature (2 Pet. 1:4) at the time of his/her salvation, the tendency and capacity to commit sin was not removed from him/her.
Note: The tendency to commit sin is stronger than before. WHY?
a. Because the Temptation is stronger than before, and
b. Satan has mastered our weaknesses, and he has mastered his work of deception.
2. Because of our Failure to Learn from the Lessons of the Past (History repeats itself).
a. The miseries of backsliding and the difficulty of restoration.
Illustration: Enercia at Rest and Enercia at Movement – when we rest it is difficult to start anew – when we move it is difficult to stop.
b. The Jewish people, throughout their history, especially during the Judges period – are the best example for this.
Note: Their cycle of sinning – servitude (slavery or suppression) – suffering – supplication – salvation – service.
3. Because most of the Revival the churches and Christians claimed to received before is nothing but Superficial.
Jeremiah 3:10 – “. . . hath not turned unto me with her whole heart, but feignedly . . .”
Not genuine. Not 100%. There’s a reservation.
See the following Biblical examples for this . . .
a. Jehoshapat – 1 Kings 22:42-43
b. Jehoram – 2 Kings 3:1-3
c. Jehoash – 2 Kings 12:1-3
d. Amaziah – 2 Kings 14:1-4
e. Azariah – 2 Kings 15:1-4
f. Jotham – 2 Kings 15:32-35
They did not make a GENERAL CLEANING (unlike Josiah – 2 Kings 23:25)
4. Because of our Wrong Concept of Backsliding
They thought they don’t need revival because they regularly attend the church services, read their bibles, etc.
They refused to accept or they failed to realize the terrible possibility of BACKSLIDING IN THE HEART – Proverbs 14:14 – i.e., ROUTINE and HYPOCRITAL services.
Illustration: The fading reflection of God’s glory in Moses’ Face that the people failed to see because his face was covered with veil – 2 Cor. 3:13.
We, too, most of the time, fail to see the fading glory in our lives because they are hidden under the veil of routine and hypocrital services or involvement in some church activities.
5. Because of our Wrong Concept of Revival itself.
a. Conducting Revival Meetings is not an assurance that there will be a Genuine Church Revival.
b. Attending the Revival Meetings is not an assurance that there will be a Genuine Revival in one’s soul.
c. Please be reminded that . . .
• The Church has no power to give Revival for the church or for any individual.
• The Pastor has no power to provide Revival for the church or for any individual.
• The Revival meetings cannot give Revival for the church or for any individual.
• The Revival preachers are powerless to provide Revival for the church or for any individual.
d. Revival is not something we can work-out by ourselves, or achieve by our own efforts.
e. No technics, no human-formula, no man-made methods, no program can create Revival to the church or to the life of a backslidden Christian.
f. Please be informed also that . . .
• Attending church services is not the formula to have Revival.
• Personal devotions is not the formula for Revival.
• Visitations and soul-winnings are not the formula for Revival.
• Giving Tithes and Offerings, supporting missions, Giving First-fruit offerings are not the formula for Revival.
• These are not formula for Revival - but rather – the Results of Genuine Revival.
g. Only the God, through the Holy Spirit can give Genuine Revival.
2 Chronicles 7:14 says – “If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.”
Like everything else, Revival as God’s blessing to His people is CONDITIONAL.
• We are to humble ourselves – meaning – We are also to admit that we cannot work-out or by our own effort provide Revival for our souls.
• We must pray – that is, to beg for His mercy to send us Revival. It is to be our earnest desire, our most desperate need and request.
• We must seek His face – meaning – we are to acknowledge that He alone can give us Revival.
• We must turn from our wicked ways – meaning – we are to admit our sins, our failures, our shortcomings and unfaithfulness against Him. We are to be willing to obey whatever He requires us to do. We are to submit ourselves to His discipline, correction and instruction. We are to be willing to renew our commitments to Him.
• Then will I hear from heaven – meaning – we are to recognize that God wills our Revival. our Holy God cannot will for less than the best for His children. He wanted to give us Revival and He will give us Revival if we meet His conditions.
• He will forgive our sins, and He will send us Revival.
Pastor Antonio O. Maramara
God’s Grace Baptist Church
Parañaque City, 1704