TRIUMPHANT OVER TROUBLES
A. This is a Psalm That Meets Us in Times of Trouble
David’s son Absalom had decided to take family matters into his own hands and even went as far as trying to convince everyone that the Kingdom would be better off with him as King. David had to flee for his life.
i. NO ONE has gone through life without facing troubles at one time or another
ii. Gossip and criticism are common sources of grief
iii. Friends sometimes turn against us.
B. The Scriptures give us FOUR tools to conquer our times of trouble
A. The Lord is Our Shied (v. 3)
i. Physical - The arrows and spears of David’s time
ii. Spiritual - Extinguish all the fiery arrows of Satan (Eph. 6:16)
iii. God’s people have always been targets of enemies
iv. The shield protects during battle
B. The Lord is Our Sustainer (vv. 4-5)
i. David cried out to the Lord for help
ii. God invites us to enter into prayer with him
1. (Jer. 33:3) Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know.
2. (Matt. 7:7) Ask and it will be given to you, seek and you will find, knock and the door will be opened to you.
3. (Mark 11:24) Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.
4. (John 15:7) If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you.
iii. David had such peace that he could sleep (v. 5)
1. He slept in peace and awoke invigorated
2. The Lord sustained him in danger
C. The Lord is Our Strength (v. 6)
i. I can do everything in Christ. (Phil. 4:13)
ii. “I will not be afraid”
1. Consider that circumstances David faced
2. The forces against him
iii. As faith increases, fear decreases
1. David stood up to Goliath
iv. Perfect love casts out fear (1 John 4:18)
There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.
D. The Lord Is Our Source of Victory (vv. 7-8)
i. David sees his enemies overcome by God’s power
ii. Victory during Satan’s attacks
1. (Eph. 6:13) Therefore, put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground…
iii. There is victory in Jesus (1 Cor. 15:57-58)
But thanks be to God. He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. Therefore, my dear brothers, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain.
A. We can rest in Christ even in troubled times
B. The Lord is Our Shield, Our Sustainer, Our Strength, Our Salvation
C. The final victory has already been won