* Tried to find his way to the coast so he could catch a boat, make his way back home to England.
* In the darkness of the night he stumbled on a road sign. * It was so dark and he was so lost, he
had no idea what the sign said and decided to climb the pole.
* When he got to the crossbeam, he held on to read the sign!
* Took out a match, lit it, and looked directly into the face of Jesus.
* He had climbed an outdoor crucifix!
* Stunned by what he saw, he realized the shame of his life!
* He was looking into the face of the One who had endured it all and had never turned back.
* The next morning, the soldier was back in the trenches.
* You and I tonight need to look into the face of the One who endured all the punishment and
shame of our sin and never turned back.
* And as we look into His face, we must ask ourselves, “Am I totally loyal to the One who is
totally loyal to me?”
Related Text Illustrations
Contributed by Davon Huss on Aug 27, 2001
Legend has it that a wealthy merchant traveling through the Mediterranean world looking for the Pharisee and Apostle, Paul encountered Timothy, who arranged a visit. Paul was, at the time, a prisoner in Rome. Stepping inside the cell, the merchant was surprised to find a rather old man, physically ...read more
Contributed by Ed Wood on Jun 6, 2002
There was a great theologian who came to the USA from England and was being interviewed by a group of seminary students. The question was asked, “What is the most profound thought that ever occupied your mind.” The answer was, “Jesus loves me this I know for the Bible tells me so.” You may go ...read more
Contributed by Melvin Newland on Aug 1, 2002
ILL. An old legend has it that a wealthy merchant of the 1st Century who wanted to meet the Apostle Paul encountered Timothy, who arranged a visit for him with Paul who, at that time, was a prisoner in Rome. Stepping inside the cell, the merchant was surprised to find a rather old man, ...read more