In the past five years what has been happening in denominations across the board in the USA?
1. Presbyterians – 3.7% loss in 2007 – highest loss in one year in their entire history of 216 years
2. Episcopalians – 115,000 loss in the last 3 years
3. Methodists – Loss of 50,000 people a year and are at the lowest attendance in reported history
4. One denominational leader recently said – they are actually crossing the line and the median average age of attender was over 60 years in age. And if trends continue, half of their population will be gone in the next 5 years.
5. 10% of the population considered themselves Baptist in 1995. In 2006 only 3% did.
6. Disciple of Christ - 11% loss
7. Lutherans – 4% loss
8. Reformed – 6% loss
9. Church of Christ - 9% loss
10. In the Assemblies - In the last 5 years we had a slight growth (2%) and planted 534 churches, but closed 500.
11. 7 in 10 Protestants, age 18-30, both evangelical and mainline, said they quit attending church by age 23.
If we keep doing business as usual, we will die!
Related Text Illustrations
Contributed by Bill Prater on Jan 5, 2001
The U.S. standard railroad gauge (distance between rails) is four feet, eight-and-one-half inches. Why such an odd number? Because that’s the way they built them in England, and American railroads were built by British expatriates. Why did the English adopt that particular gauge? ...read more
Contributed by James Wilson on Nov 23, 2000
A good friend of mine recently told me about an incident that happened to him that explains why a person can worship, and yet still not know God. It all began before the plane took off. Roger Williams III was sitting in the window seat and was looking forward to thumbing through a magazine on a ...read more
Contributed by Richard Jones on Nov 1, 2000
It’s like the Lutheran pastor who always started each service with "The Lord be with you." The people would respond, "and also with you.” But, one Sunday the PA system wasn’t working so the first thing he said was "There’s ...read more
Contributed by Richard Jones on Nov 2, 2000
Two men are standing on the front lawn of a church. One man is leaning on the church’s sign and the other is looking at it from the front. The sign reads: Oak Road Bible Believing, Hand Clapping, Foot Stomping, Hemlines Below The Knee, Tie Wearing, Blood Washed, ...read more