6. Similarities between the death of Stephen and the death of Jesus (note: I have altered):
1. Both were tried before the high priest
2. Both were accused by false witnesses
3. Both were accused of threatening to destroy the temple
4. Both mention "the Son of Man"
5. Both charged with blasphemy
6. Both "commit" their spirit while dying
7. Both cry out with a loud voice
8. Both ask their enemies to be forgiven
[Source: Witherington, Ben III, The Acts of the Apostles, A Socio-Rhetorical Commentary, Eerdmans, 1989, p. 252, altered).
Related Text Illustrations
Contributed by Sermoncentral on Sep 22, 2002
Contributed by Hansel Young on Nov 15, 2007