Years ago, there was a very wealthy man
• Who, along with his devoted son, shared a passion for art collecting.
• Together they traveled around the world, adding only the finest art treasures to their collection.
• Priceless works by Picasso, Van Gogh, Monet and many others adorned the walls of the family estate.
• The widowed father looked on with satisfaction as his only child became an experienced art collector.
• But the day came when war engulfed the nation, and the young man left to serve his country.
• After only a few short weeks, his father received a telegram that his beloved son had been killed while carrying a fellow soldier to a medic.
• On Christmas morning, a knock came at the door of the old man’s home, and as He opened the door, He was greeted by a soldier with a large package in his hand.
• He introduced himself to the man by saying, “I was a friend of your son. I was the one He was rescuing when He died.
• May I come in for a few moments? I have something to show you.”
• The soldier said “I’m an artist, and I want to give this to you.”
• As the old man unwrapped the package, the paper gave way to reveal a portrait of his son.
• Though the art critics would never consider the work a piece of genius,
• The painting did feature the young man’s face in striking detail,
• and seemed to capture his personality.
• The following spring, the old man became ill and passed away.
• The art world was filled with anticipation!
• Because according to the man’s will, all of the art works were to be auctioned.
• The day soon arrived, and art collectors from around the world gathered to bid on some of the world’s most spectacular paintings.
• The auction began with a painting that was not on any museum’s list.
• It was the painting of the man’s son.
• The auctioneer asked for an opening bid. The room was silent. “Who will open the bidding with $100?” He asked. Minutes passed with not a sound from those who came to buy.
• From the back of the room someone called out, “Who cares about that painting? It’s just a picture of his son. Let’s forget it and get to the important paintings.”
• Other voices echoed in agreement.
But the auctioneer replied, “No, we have to sell this one first.
• Now, who will take the son?”
• Finally, a friend of the old man spoke. “I knew the boy, so I’d like to have it.
• I’ll bid...Continue reading this sermon illustration (Free with PRO)
Contributed by Dennis Davidson on Oct 31, 2011
The church was flourishing until some false teachers came and disrupted the growth and confused their theology. The letter was written to encourage the believers to combat errors in the church, the most dangerous being the deprecation of Christ
Contributed by Dennis Davidson on Nov 13, 2011
The New Life in the Spirit, made possible through faith in Jesus Christ as Lord of Life, brings deliverance from the old bondage of sin 7 death. One obtains the New Life in the Spirit by availing oneself to the resources of life that are his "in Christ J