In 1986, there were two ships that collided off the Russian coast. Hundreds of people were thrown to their deaths in the icy waters. When the authorities investigated the cause of the accident they did not find any mechanical or technical problems. They found a human problem.
Seems that both captains had time to steer clear from one another, but neither wanted to be the first to yield. Pride is a sin because it keeps us from seeing the need to react. It keeps us from seeing the need to react for Jesus Christ.
Let me give you the entire story of pride in three short sentences:
· Pride began in heaven … in he devil’s heart
· Pride continues on earth … in our hearts
· Pride will end in hell ... where it belongs
· When we pray and the prayer is not right, God will say “NO!”
· When we pray and we are not right, God will say, “GROW.”
· When we pray and the timing is not right, God will say “SLOW.”
· But, when we pray a prayer and all is right, God will say, “GO.”
From Bruce Ball’s Sermon: Passionate Prayer